JDM engines in USDM cars

59,000km.

20201223_100956.jpg

^ same, don't you just hate when pics come out blurry like that? I don't know how that happened.

I have a JDM engine in my Avalon, I've had great luck with them......But, Perform a Leak Down first as these engines could have sat for several years!

The difference is he's going from a 2.5L to a 2.0L without a tune. The concern is that this may not run properly. I expect it will also be dog slow, but that's how she goes.

The difference is he's going from a 2.5L to a 2.0L without a tune. The concern is that this may not run properly. I expect it will also be dog slow, but that's how she goes.
I'm genuinely curious as to how it will turn out. What if the engine still puts out comparable torque? (May rev a bit higher too,?)

I was going to suggest the timing belt get replaced before it goes in, but the only thing new for sure is gonna be Spark Plugs and oil I think. The coil, spark plug/ignition wires and sensors from the old one were new and are going on the outside of that one.

I'm genuinely curious as to how it will turn out. What if the engine still puts out comparable torque? (May rev a bit higher too,?)

I was going to suggest the timing belt get replaced before it goes in, but the only thing new for sure is gonna be Spark Plugs and oil I think. The coil, spark plug/ignition wires and sensors from the old one were new and are going on the outside of that one.

I believe I provided the torque figures when I posted the power figures. It does not have comparable torque.

I believe I provided the torque figures when I posted the power figures. It does not have comparable torque.
Okay. Yes I think you're right.

One thing it has going for it, do you think the EJ20 is 'stronger' than an EJ25 (its the same engine just smaller bore?)

Maybe one day I can get this. No idea where this place is.

Okay. Yes I think you're right.

One thing it has going for it, do you think the EJ20 is 'stronger' than an EJ25 (its the same engine just smaller bore?)

I have no idea, I'm not familiar enough with the Subaru engine families to advise on that bit.

I think the ej20 will be a stronger engine. what did it come out of? Do the 20’s push the same larger outbacks over there? It could end up having to do more work if the 20s come out of smaller vehicles. I do think, if everything else is equal, that you’ll get improved mpg. Here’s the kicker though, if the transmission thinks it’s working harder due to deeper throttle at cruise and decides to stay out of lock up, or hold a lower gear, mpg could go backwards. You might be able to have a tuner work some of that out, or you might find that, if the engine is a higher compression unit, that running premium gets the power needed to keep it “over the hump.” Won’t know... but I applaud your willingness to try. There are some negative comments here, but really, were all going to learn something from your results.

as a possible next step, a more aggressive cam might be worth considering if the engine ends up being anemic, followed by intake and exhaust.

m

Who has one?
Pros/cons?
Likes/dislikes?

Not sure if your inquiry is Subaru-specific, but since you labeled it a "general topic..."

I put a JDM-exclusive K20a and associated 6 speed manual (from the early aughties Civic R) into our 2005 Civic SI hatch.

Pros: Way better engine than stock; *way* (+60HP). 8600 RPM redline. 6-speed w/ factory helical LSD. It was Honda's halo engine at the time, the best NA 4 cylinder automotive motor they ever made. Honda bombproof. Easy swap (stock mounts and harness).

Cons: It wasn't cheap; the engine/trans pair cost almost 2x what I paid for the stock Civic. Uses oil, typical for high-rev Honda powerplants IME but I still don't like it. Gearing isn't exactly highway friendly- ~4200 rpm at 80mph.

Love its free-revving joyous nature; it pulls hard to redline and just explodes over 6k. My kid loves it too. EP3 Civic SI is cool- the only year that the SI model got it's own unique body style (to be fair not everyone loves a hatchback though).

Dislike: Fuel economy doesn't match modern gear; if I'm in it I'm on it, returns 21-24mpg. Can be loud but whatever. Base car isn't all that great, I've been fighting with the rear suspension for years.

Not sure if your inquiry is Subaru-specific, but since you labeled it a "general topic..."

I put a JDM-exclusive K20a and associated 6 speed manual (from the early aughties Civic R) into our 2005 Civic SI hatch.

Pros: Way better engine than stock; *way* (+60HP). 8600 RPM redline. 6-speed w/ factory helical LSD. It was Honda's halo engine at the time, the best NA 4 cylinder automotive motor they ever made. Honda bombproof. Easy swap (stock mounts and harness).

Cons: It wasn't cheap; the engine/trans pair cost almost 2x what I paid for the stock Civic. Uses oil, typical for high-rev Honda powerplants IME but I still don't like it. Gearing isn't exactly highway friendly- ~4200 rpm at 80mph.

Love its free-revving joyous nature; it pulls hard to redline and just explodes over 6k. My kid loves it too. EP3 Civic SI is cool- the only year that the SI model got it's own unique body style (to be fair not everyone loves a hatchback though).

Dislike: Fuel economy doesn't match modern gear; if I'm in it I'm on it, returns 21-24mpg. Can be loud but whatever. Base car isn't all that great, I've been fighting with the rear suspension for years.

Yes. I wanted this to be a general non-Subaru specific.

This particular time.. the operation is Subaru-specific, on this car.

Here we go.

20210104_145739.jpg

Back