JD hygard low vis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, new guy here from North Central Pa. This past winter I changed the hydro oil in my Kioti Ck2610Hst from Chevron thf1000 to Jd hygard low vis because of the slow/poor performance due to the very cold weather we had. The Low vis was a major improvement. The Kioti manual says you can use Duratran xl in colder climates which is j20d spec but that's only available in Canada. I tried to stay close to the Duratran spec as the tractor is still under warranty and the Hygard low vis seems to be a close/ better spec oil. The question I have now is can I continue to use the JD low vis into the summer? The cheveron was fine but I couldn't see working the hydro harder during cold weather. It's not uncommon for us to have temps in the single digits to low teens in the winter when I plow snow. The only thing I notice with the low vis is now I have to use mid range to go up the road to plow my neighbors where before I could go up the hill most of the way in Hi range? The tractor's hydro is much quieter and the Fel controls are smoother with the Low vis. I'd like to stay with one fluid all season. Like to hear your opinions? Thanks.

Hello tiogajoe,

I operate and maintain a John Deere 4115 compact tractor at my workplace in southern Michigan. It came from the factory with a front end loader, but we purchased it without the loader. Low vis Hygard was installed at the factory. We put about 80 - 100 hours a year on it and it just hit 1,000 total hours. In summer we mostly mow tree plantations with a 4 ft. rotary brush hog style mower. In winter I plow snow with a 6 ft. back blade. It does other tasks like herbicide spraying, stump pulling, etc.. Our tasks are relatively easy duty compared to plowing, etc.. Our temps. routinely get above 80F in summer and below 10f in winter.

The Hygard temperature charts makes fluid choice difficult. The low vis shows good up to only 80F and the regular Hygard good only down to 10F. Neither is perfect for our climate. http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMLVU13326_I3/Output/OMLVU13326_I310.html ... I contacted local dealers and John Deere corporate for advice. They said to ignore the high limit of the low vis Hygard and use it year round. They insinuated that low vis would be the lesser of two evils. I couldn't imagine changing the fluid every spring and fall. Again, I would not consider our summer use to be especially high stress on the tractor. And, we tend to not bust our bottoms when temps get above 85F. Your use and conditions might be different.

That's the only anecdotal information I have to share. I would try to find someone you can trust in the Kioti company for advice. Dealer expertise can vary. Also check out forums like Tractor By Net. https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/

Doitmyself, I use my tractor about 100 hrs a year also. I the summer it can get into the 90's here but you can bet I'm not doing much on my tractor. I only bush hog some walking paths on our property and use the tractor to move wood/logs to put on my sawmill. I've been on other forums and the Hygard temp charts always open a can of worms. Good to know JD corporate said to ignore the high temp limit. I understand the hygard and hygard low vis are compatible to mix. I have a hydro fluid filter change coming up and may top it off with the regular Hygard. My dealer I bought the tractor from also sells New Holland. They use NH hytran for fluid. Again the Duratran xl is a similar spec fluid to the low vis. Duratrans site say you can also use the fluid year round. the saga continues. LOL

The low vis hygard is a very good quality fluid.
The only thing I could think of that may be better for your application is the Amsoil tractor fluid, it is multi viscosity, so would work well summer or winter, it is rather expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back