JD 46" Snowblower Gearbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a little dilemma with the 46" single stage blower on my 425.

I'd like to change the oil in the gearbox. I just got the tractor this spring but it's been in the family for most of its life and I know it's been a long time since it was changed.

I only see one plug on the gearbox, and it's on the top. How would I go about changing it? I don't have the manual and can't seem to find the correct one on John Deere's website.

I see two options.

1. Suck the oil out with my suction gun. I doubt this will get all the oil out though. Plus, how would I get the correct amount back in? I can't imagine it's supposed to be filled all the way to the top.

2. Remove the gearbox and dump the oil out. This would get all the oil out, but it looks like a lot of work just to change the oil. But again how much oil goes back in? Only thing I can think is to tip the gearbox on its side and fill it to the hole, but I don't know if that's right either.

Then, which oil to use? I have these on hand, or should I be using something else?

I would suck it out with the suction gun. Then replace the same amount you put in. You will probably have to do that a few times to get most of the old oil out.

Regards, JC.

I don't know about your Deere, but my walk behind blower has a gearbox packed with white grease instead of gear oil. Supposedly service not required unless gearbox is taken apart for service.

Last edited:
Mytractorforum.com...click on forum...scroll down to the lawn and garden tractor forum...click on John Deere....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back