JB Weld Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Not a JB Weld story, but my dad used some Bondo to patch a hole that was rusted/worn through the reel on an old bean combine. He used it for years before retiring, and the Bondo actually wore more slowly than the rest of the metal around it.

Modern epoxies and the like are pretty amazing.

Too true. My dad repaired a crack in a basement wall with Bondo and it held better than any of the other "official" remedies out there.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I ran over something one time in my old 320i and it snagged the oil pan drain and pulled open a tear in the pan. Tried to JB Weld it back together and drove it to class. That afternoon after leaving class, I could see an Exxon Valdez-sized slick trailing downhill from my car. walked to gas station, bought oil, filled it up, and drove it to my mechanic. $30 later he welded it right. I didn't touch the stuff for years afterward. Bought a pack a few months back, though, just to have.

I'm guessing you just slapped it on there from underneath and didnt pull the pan and patch it correctly. Still it helped at least and got you where you needed to go.

You'd be correct. It got me the few miles I needed to drive. I guess that's all I could ask for the job I did!

Slightly OT
Haha This reminds me, when i had my first SL1, the muffler was giving out, so i got some Bondo, and went over the whole muffler...

HPIM1042.jpg

I bought an old Honda CRX once that was missing the spoiler but the holes were still there and letting in rainwater so I took the trim panel off and JB welded some nickles up over the underside of the holes and put it all back together, held up for the years I owned it.. also repaired a crack on my brothers fiberglass jeep hardtop with it, still holding 2 years later...

I saw Onion's post, but mine is more extreme. Once, this hospital called because their Cat D349 powered genset threw a rod and chunked the block where it supports the bottom of the liner and seals the coolant. Caterpillar bid a block replacement. They asked if I could beat that price. We removed the liner, Found the hunk of block, JB'd it back in place, smoothed it out with more JB Weld, sanded it smooth, replaced the liner, piston and rod with new parts, reinstalled the head and let it rip. I know for a fact that engine is still in service. This repair was made 24 or 25 years ago. Every time I used to go PM that engine, I used to cringe as it ramped up to 1800 RPM..

That's impressive. You got balls.

I hope you made it clear to the customer that there was absolutely no warranty. I've done some REALLY shady repairs over the years in situations where the customer can't/won't pay to do the job right... but only if "NO WARRANTY" is written at the top fo the work order.

Catholic Hospital in Queens, NY. Yeah, they were pretty cheap. Whether I warranteed it or not, that repair is still going strong. It's 24 years for sure.
The only reason we went ahead with it was because we felt it wasn't a highly stressed area of the block.

They absolutely got their money's worth out of that repair.

You better make sure that it is not going to cause death in an emergency, and make sure that they are aware of what kind of repair it is. Being sued due to a failure and loss of lives is no joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back