JB WEld Hi Temp on Manifold - burning off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, has anyone else tried using JB Weld High Temp on their exhaust manifold? The stuff I put is causing a burning smell (really bad) after driving the car for a few mintes.

I'm worried that it's going to catch fire or something; should I try and chip away whatever I can before driving the car again?

Thanks

Greg

yeah, I should've thought that one through before putting the stuff on there. I swear the packaging suggested manifolds as one of the uses but I see now they don't recommend it. I wonder if it's older package or something but the temperature numbers should've been enough of a clue. (I'd try and blame the metric system but that doesn't really fly either
smile.gif
)

In any case I e-mailed them and they tell me that there is no fire risk; just smoke, then ash which is a relief.

Thanks for the reply

Maybe INTAKE manifolds, but not exhaust manifolds.

They can suggest manifolds because there are two types. Only one is potentially suitable for this product.

The exhaust gas comming out of the cylinder is 1500-1700 degrees!

The steels that can deal with these temperatures have 1250dF temperature ratings, and glow in the daylight when "properly" warm (cherry red at night).

Somehow I thing all of this adds up to something a lot hotter than an expoy can deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back