JASO MA who does? who doesnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I had a look at the back of a jug of Rotella T and noticed it has the JASO MA qualification. Cool it now warrantee specific for japanese bikes. Funny enough I looked at several "Motorcycle" oils and of them the Castrol only has an SG qualification, no JASO MA. things that make you go Hmmmm

You won't find a motorcycle specific oil that has an API rating.No donut on the back of the bottle, just something that says it meets a sg or sm rating of some sort.No one is monitoring if the oil actually meets those specs or any spec. It's up to the bike mfgr to spec what oil to use. Another reason why "motorcycle oils"are a joke, considering what they cost.,,

Originally Posted By: Twinsport
Funny enough I looked at several "Motorcycle" oils and of them the Castrol only has an SG qualification, no JASO MA. things that make you go Hmmmm

Back when SG was the current spec, there was no such thing as an energy conserving oil with a ton of friction modifiers. That's why even though there is no official MA rating on it, it is perfectly fine for shared sumps and wet clutches.

MA was introduced later when API SJ/SL/SM/SN appeared on the market to specifically ensure that a customer doesn't pick up an energy conserving oil for his bike by mistake.

The newest Mobil v-twin 20w50 bottle no longer has the JASO MA rating,but still states on bottle that it is good in engine,trans,primary.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You won't find a motorcycle specific oil that has an API rating.No donut on the back of the bottle, just something that says it meets a sg or sm rating of some sort.No one is monitoring if the oil actually meets those specs or any spec. It's up to the bike mfgr to spec what oil to use. Another reason why "motorcycle oils"are a joke, considering what they cost.,,

I'm in full agreement with the last sentence.

I've NEVER bought a motorcycle specific oil. NEVER.

With excellent oils available such as Delvac and Rotella, who in their right mind would blow their money on motorcycle specific oils that cost much more without providing the same level of protection as any decent quality HDEO?

However, it's abundantly obvious that many motorcyclists don't do their homework and have no trouble spending big bucks for oil labels with motorcycle pictures on them and promises of outstanding performance!

That's quite a premium to pay for cheezy advertising art and empty promises.

That list appears to be a list of motorcycle only oils,from overseas.Alot that I've never heard of. There must be a list of oils sold in the US that have been tested and meet the jaso-ma spec.,

Exactly my point.

Many motorcycle-specific motor oils sold in the U.S. print "JASO-MA" on the label but are not on that list (and do not show the donut) because they didn't pay for the certification.

Rotella prints "JASO-MA" on some of their products and so does Amsoil (and others) but cannot display the "certification symbol" because they did not pay for the testing.

Bel-Ray, Castrol, Honda, Motul, Silkolene, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Repsol, Suzuki, Pennzoil, ELf, Valvoline, Yamalube are all on that list.

Here is the standard.
JASO Standard - Motorcycles

Interesting to note that many of the certifications for Suzuki and Pennzoil were submitted by SOPUS (Shell Oil Products, US). Eh, I guess SOPUS owns the Pennzoil name anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back