Japanese cuisine and eggs

Yesterday I came across a channel that films the kitchens in various restaurants in Osaka. It was mind boggling how much eggs are used in the Japanese cuisine, for lunch and dinner. I now have a new appreciation of what the Japanese eat, and it is not what we would call "healthy".

Just to make sure that it's not just Osaka, found other channels doing similar things and consumption of massive amounts of eggs was a common theme.

Lack of raw fish was another eye opener - an average American likely eats more raw fish than an average Japanese.

Yesterday I came across a channel that films the kitchens in various restaurants in Osaka. It was mind boggling how much eggs are used in the Japanese cuisine, for lunch and dinner. I now have a new appreciation of what the Japanese eat, and it is not what we would call "healthy".

Just to make sure that it's not just Osaka, found other channels doing similar things and consumption of massive amounts of eggs was a common theme.

Lack of raw fish was another eye opener - an average American likely eats more raw fish than an average Japanese.
I don't get your point.

Japanese eat fairly healthy. Main problem is excess sodium, and some odd processed foods, but other than that OK.

Nothing at all wrong with eggs.

Sashimi is not an everyday meal.

Man you should look at the USA diet if you want unhealthy

Sugar
Processed food
White flour and easy carbs
Solvent oils

Fat fat fat people all over the place.

Last edited:
Japan has one of the highest life expectancies in the world. Whatever they're eating can't be so bad.
That was the surprising thing - almost everything is deep fried or fried with copious amounts of salt and yet they are not obese or short lived. So what is the reason behind our poor health status in this country - it certainly isn't the fried foods, lack of veggies, meats or carbs.

Midnight Diner on Netflix is one of my favorite series, the Master cooks a lot of egg meals with a lot of veggies. :)

The "authorities" have backtracked on how "bad" eggs are for you. They're not saying eggs are bad now.

Everything (edible) in moderation. I'm sure the average Japanese isn't eating a dozen eggs every day.

That was the surprising thing - almost everything is deep fried or fried with copious amounts of salt and yet they are not obese or short lived. So what is the reason behind our poor health status in this country - it certainly isn't the fried foods, lack of veggies, meats or carbs.
No not everything in Japan is deep fried. Street food, some is.

It's the SUGAR and CARBS.

PLUS just overall mass consumption of too many calories.

Plus plus low potassium, plus wrong oils, plus fear of animal fat

You are kidding, right? You live here and don't know this??

I suspect the nutritional quality of eggs in japan is a bit better. Deep orange colored yolks are preferred in Japan which usually indicates more natural fat sources. In our chickens the yolks get deeper color when they are roaming around the yard eating grass, seeds, bugs, etc. Their yolks start to fade in the winter with grain and commercial feed being their primary food source.

You can get pasture-raised higher quality eggs with deeper orange yolks here, if you're willing to pay double what the regular eggs cost.

This is part of the problem - the cheapest foods here are usually the least healthy ones, yet people buy them because the price per LB is the best. But whatever you save on food you will end up spending on medical bills later on.

Japan doesn't have the fat problem the USA does. Skip around the video and try to find fat people in Japan, good luck.

You never heard of Sumo wrestlers?

sumo1a.jpg

LAZINESS AND LACK OF EXERCISE

Last edited:
Street food is usualIy fast food and most fast food is unhealthy.

Just because a restaurant exists also doesn’t mean the entire population is eating that.

Japanese portion sizes are usually very small though. Most people I know who personally went there found the portion sizes too small.

You can also see this at the asian grocery store as well, a bottle of imported Japanese soft drink is typically around 200 mL. American soft drinks start at 355 mL and go up to 710 mL for an individual portion.

Back