Japan unveils timeline for indigenous fighter jet program

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
https://apple.news/Ai6MrJz56TUOsybNAGd9atA

Japan has announced a timeline for a new, unnamed fighter jet to challenge China's J-20 fighter.
The new, stealthy fighter will enter production in 2031.
The aircraft will replace the aging Mitsubishi F-2 fighter jet, which is based on the American F-16.

I don't know much about fighters, but know that some of you do and would love to get your opinion on the affects of a potential new fighter on the worlds stage, especially if Japan decides to sell these to allies.

Who would be their market? Those who can't afford US planes?

If they plan to use HONDA or Toyota turbine engines running M1 0W20 EP Turbine Oil then it'll be a GREAT plane
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Dave

Interesting. Made me look into Japans current military.
Looks like their current planes are the Mitsubishi F-2, a F-16 variant. They will also be buying a bunch of F-35's.

Never realized they are now considered the worlds 4th most powerful military (US, Russia, China), especially considering it is primarily a "defense" force.
Seems in the past 15 or so years it has become a much more capable military with a lot more offensive capability.

Yep, for a couple decades, little itty-bitty Israel was #4.
Japan geographically is so close to Korea and that's made them nervous.

Go Japan. A peaceful nation and a good friend to the USA.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
Yep, for a couple decades, little itty-bitty Israel was #4.
Japan geographically is so close to Korea and that's made them nervous.

Go Japan. A peaceful nation and a good friend to the USA.

I for one...am happy to see Japan building up their military capabilities....they have some neighbors with bad intentions IMO.....

Not to be forgotten is that Mitsubishi built the famous Zero A/C that gave the US a lot of trouble as it was superior to everything they had at the time. So I'd be very curious as to what they'll build, pity I won't be of this world by then.
cry.gif

Originally Posted by Pelican
Not to be forgotten is that Mitsubishi built the famous Zero A/C that gave the US a lot of trouble as it was superior to everything they had at the time. So I'd be very curious as to what they'll build, pity I won't be of this world by then.
cry.gif

I doubt they can afford to build anything close to the Zero again.

From what I learned a few years ago, the Zeros were made by hand, meticulously, more like a piece of art than a war machine, whereas the U.S. kept cranking out gear assembly-line-style. THIS made a huge difference in the war. In the end, they not only had fewer aircraft, but fewer skilled pilots, which I believe is why Japan was eventually left with no other option than to kamikaze their junior pilots into our assets.

This isn't even to mention that most of our primo gear was ear-marked for the Atlantic front, leaving the Pacific with very few decent assets during the first part of the war. The fact that we did so well even still, was partly due to skill (Purple Dragon), perseverance (we didn't fold after PH, like they thought we would), and their over-extension. Japan desperately needed raw materials, but made the mistake of expanding too far. They simply left us way too many weak spots to counter with.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Pelican
cry.gif

I doubt they can afford to build anything close to the Zero again.

From what I learned a few years ago, the Zeros were made by hand, meticulously, more like a piece of art than a war machine, whereas the U.S. kept cranking out gear assembly-line-style. THIS made a huge difference in the war. In the end, they not only had fewer aircraft, but fewer skilled pilots, which I believe is why Japan was eventually left with no other option than to kamikaze their junior pilots into our assets.

This isn't even to mention that most of our primo gear was ear-marked for the Atlantic front, leaving the Pacific with very few decent assets during the first part of the war. The fact that we did so well even still, was partly due to skill (Purple Dragon), perseverance (we didn't fold after PH, like they thought we would), and their over-extension. Japan desperately needed raw materials, but made the mistake of expanding too far. They simply left us way too many weak spots to counter with.

Mitsubishi has been concentrating on regional jets like the MRJ and their work with Boeing on the commercial side among others.

Originally Posted by pbm

I for one...am happy to see Japan building up their military capabilities....they have some neighbors with bad intentions IMO.....

Agreed. China wants control over that whole area very bad.

Japan/MHI currently build some F-35A's in Japan (5-6 or so a year?), but supposedly they are going to start buying them complete from Fort Worth.

They are also converting a couple ships to "Short-decked carriers" for the 42 model F-35B's they are planning to buy.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
Japan geographically is so close to Korea and that's made them nervous..

South Korea has F-35's also...... F-35 computers talk to each other. Think about that.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Looks like their current planes are the Mitsubishi F-2, a F-16 variant. They will also be buying a bunch of F-35's.

Never realized they are now considered the worlds 4th most powerful military (US, Russia, China), especially considering it is primarily a "defense" force.
Seems in the past 15 or so years it has become a much more capable military with a lot more offensive capability.

"Defense" is a name only, it doesn't means they are not powerful. SK and NK both have quite big of a military and so do India / Pakistan due to their conflicts.

I think we have reached peak fighter jet as their cost becomes so high that, other than for moral and halo reasons, it does not make sense to rely on them for any sort of military action. You can use drones, lots of drones, even if you lose 90% of them, still be able to reach your target and destroy it way more effective than taking the chance of 1 or 2 fighters. If JDF takes on a cheaper and mass produce approach to their fighter jet it would be a good idea. Even if they can't get it perfect it would be a huge bargaining power when they are buying F35 from the military industrial complex in the US. Many large companies buy from vendors and build their own stuff at the same time to avoid lock in.

Pandabear,

I‘ve wondered whether drones will be to WW3 what aircraft carriers (and aircraft) were to WW2.

WW2, at least in the Pacific, was defined by air power, even though it wasn’t emphasized early on, and only seen as a support platform for the Army.

I believe Submarines we’re also a game changer after PH; however, their role was more haphazardly coordinated than anything; pretty much: “OMG, what the heck was that. Uh, Submarines, go out there and sink some stuff while we figure out how to counter!!!” That is, until we realized the potential for coordinated effort in sinking the majority of Japan’s commercial tonnage and its affect on winning the war later on. Maybe a lesson learned from the Germans?

Originally Posted by blupupher

"Defense" is a name only, it doesn't means they are not powerful. SK and NK both have quite big of a military and so do India / Pakistan due to their conflicts.

I think we have reached peak fighter jet as their cost becomes so high that, other than for moral and halo reasons, it does not make sense to rely on them for any sort of military action. You can use drones, lots of drones, even if you lose 90% of them, still be able to reach your target and destroy it way more effective than taking the chance of 1 or 2 fighters. If JDF takes on a cheaper and mass produce approach to their fighter jet it would be a good idea. Even if they can't get it perfect it would be a huge bargaining power when they are buying F35 from the military industrial complex in the US. Many large companies buy from vendors and build their own stuff at the same time to avoid lock in.

It still helps to have allies. And with the F-35 the United States needs to remain an ally. They supposedly need regular codes to enable the software. It really needs all that software to fly and for the weapons system. There's been talk that if an F-35 export customer ticks off the United States that they'll stop providing the codes needed to run them.

It still helps to have allies. And with the F-35 the United States needs to remain an ally. They supposedly need regular codes to enable the software. It really needs all that software to fly and for the weapons system. There's been talk that if an F-35 export customer ticks off the United States that they'll stop providing the codes needed to run them.
Which is why Japan would probably want a domestic 2nd source to bargain.

Which is why Japan would probably want a domestic 2nd source to bargain.

The UK gets full access to the source code though. I think they’re the only F-35 export customer with full access.

The US has been burned by weapons sales in the past. How many Stinger missiles were kept or sold on the open market by the remnants of the Mujahideen? The Taliban still has some, although 33 year old weapons don’t always work. The DoD shredded most F-14s and left inoperable shells for air museums so Iran can’t get spare parts.

Back