Jalopnik: A Huge Chunk Of America Is Getting A New Electric Car Charging Network

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Jalopnik: A Huge Chunk Of America Is Getting A New Electric Car Charging Network.

Electric infrastructure will come fairly quickly because the limitations of being beholden to 5 oil companies doesn't exist.

You average ma and pa can monetize an electric meter.

Last edited:
I imagine there will be an app of some kind to help drivers plan their trips, how many chargers are open, are down at each site, etc.
Of course Tesla has that all integrated on the tablet that all the BITOGer love so much.

What happens when the grid is cyber attacked. Where are you going to get a charge?

New ElectrifyAmerica station, .43/kWh for non members and .31 for members with $4
/mo fee. let’s say need 60 kWh, round it to $20 for the 60. Best 4 mi/ kWh mileage ev gives 240 miles for $20. So far electric is not cheaper than a car getting good mpg. The idea electric is sorta free somehow, is going to go away soon. Unless you have the solar or fight for free charging spots. Not sure solar is free though, as electric not put back into the system is money you don’t get back.
In CA I believe starting with last years models they will charge $100 extra on registration. That’s about 3O gals of $3.33 gas, or 1500 miles in a 50 mpg car. That goes into the gas car advantage column.
Not that I am against ev’s, but people get too worked up over new things and later on reality sets in. It isn’t free driving except for those scarce free spots. Then you have level 2 and make a whole day of it to get the 60 kWh. Hope there is something to do for 10 hours nearby. 😄

^ Most people will be charging at home, overnight (although that’s not so easy for people in apartments). With EA or Tesla Superchargers you’re paying a premium for occasional use on road trips and such.

My electric company charges 2.4¢/kWh to charge your EV while you sleep. Wake up to a “full tank” for $2.

It’s certainly not a perfect system, but it can work out for many people.

Many companies let you charge at work for a subsidized rate or even free. Some of my coworkers tell me they never charge at home.

^ Most people will be charging at home, overnight (although that’s not so easy for people in apartments). With EA or Tesla Superchargers you’re paying a premium for occasional use on road trips and such.

My electric company charges 2.4¢/kWh to charge your EV while you sleep. Wake up to a “full tank” for $2.

It’s certainly not a perfect system, but it can work out for many people.
That’s fantastic for you and ev makes a lot of sense. I know people who charge at work for free. I drove nearly energy cost free last year and this so far. About $6 last year. This year maybe it will hit $30. This is for gasoline. I fight for the free charging though. Actually I have a few free stations around and go for a walk with dog, or just walk back home and later walk back to get car. Dog took a bad turn lately though, declining fast, heart breaking. Boston Terrier 11 1/2.
My example is based on the new ElectrifyAmerica station I saw. Others seem to be similar, it’s high. Some are even higher. If you’re from out of town and that’s what you find, you pay it.
Also to be fair to myself, the Jalopnik article is about commercial charging stations. So that’s where I referenced from.

Last edited:
Electric infrastructure will come fairly quickly because the limitations of being beholden to 5 oil companies doesn't exist.

You average ma and pa can monetize an electric meter.
The deal highlights the growing divergence in European oil majors’ approach to the energy transition.
The heyday of the oil companies are now. In Europe-there is a darn good example that the oil companies see the hand writing on the wall-

Last edited:
Electric infrastructure will come fairly quickly

Quite the opposite and mostly PR nonsense. I mean sure, they have to plan this, and will do it, over many years and that's just highway based for travel, does nothing to facilitate large scale, in-home charging. Who is going to buy an EV as their primary vehicle if they can't in-home charge it? Business fleets, sure, as well as those who can charge at work. You will see people state this, but it is a pretty small % of the population and will be for a long time.

You can state you can get that done right now, but no the masses can't in the future if going by the projections of # of EVs the power cos are planning for and their plan is highways not last mile to your home.

Ultimately so far they're doing a few hundred charging stations for millions of dollars. What is a few hundred stations, if they take upwards of a half hour to charge, and there are merely hundreds of thousands of vehicles needing to use them, let alone the millions they project in their PR statements? Has anyone looked on highways, just how many vehicles there are?

The math does not work.

What happens when Exxon oil refinery experiences cyber attack? What happens when you local gas station is without gas bcs. natural disaster?
I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. I recall gas shortages in the late 70's and that's about it.

If you choose to live in an area prone to natural disasters, sure, blame yourself for having to prepare for those in whatever way you need to, in order to survive. Otherwise, as stated I have not seen any kind of issue with supply of gas that resulted in more than a price fluctuation, in nearly half a century.

At the same time, I would assume future additions to smart power grids will be more resilient to attack, and this is not some new concern... if you really HAD to, you could... (get ready for it)... get a gasoline powered electric generator to charge your vehicle as well as needing it to power your home during outages long enough to matter.

I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. I recall gas shortages in the late 70's and that's about it.

If you choose to live in an area prone to natural disasters, sure, blame yourself for having to prepare for those in whatever way you need to, in order to survive. Otherwise, as stated I have not seen any kind of issue with supply of gas that resulted in more than a price fluctuation, in nearly half a century.

At the same time, I would assume future additions to smart power grids will be more resilient to attack, and this is not some new concern... if you really HAD to, you could... (get ready for it)... get a gasoline powered electric generator to charge your vehicle as well as needing it to power your home during outages long enough to matter.

quote-

The 1970s energy crisis occurred when the Western world, particularly the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, faced substantial petroleum shortages, real and perceived, as well as elevated prices. The two worst crises of this period were the 1973 oil crisis and the 1979 energy crisis, when the Yom Kippur War and the Iranian Revolution triggered interruptions in Middle Eastern oil exports.[2]

Back