Jaguar XJS V12 Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 1990 XJS V12(I'm the second owner) and would like your input on what coolant I should use. Its got 32K miles and so far its been running great with zero issues. I have a full history of the car and am assuming that I should just use plain jane green coolant. I usually buy it from Napa for my other cars and will change it every year. Do you think this is overkill? I know most Jag V12's issue's are caused by overheating... This example was well cared for and pretty much all the gaskets were replaced in the mid to later 90's under an extended warranty(smart that the original NC owner purchased the GE warranty) with the updated Ford gaskets. I am the second owner and I want to make sure its taken care of. I'm a Ford guy but I always loved the XJS design. So, any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
My friend has the same engine you have in his Jag, he uses standard green coolant 50/50 mix. He doesn't have professional backup to prove that it's doing well for his car, other than the temperature is where it should be. Another consideration would be a waterless coolant, but I'd like to hear more personal reviews of the stuff. The XJS is an excellent machine, one of my favorites, there's one in the area I've been dreaming of buying, but then I decide against it for several reasons.

The only useful Jag forum I know of is Jaguarforums.com. All the others that I have used are short of members and responses to answers are slow, if they are answered.

I am not sure if Jaguar specified the regular green stuff, or if they had a different formula that was green in color. I would look into Zerex and read the back of the package. Certain European makes call for what they call Zerex G-05 or the equivalent.

I think that if you do a good flush, where only clean, clear water drains out on the last drain, it really doesn't matter.
I should mention that I'm envious of you for having found a good V-12 Jag.
Neat car and a neat engine.

Thanks for your comments.

I was lucky to find one that was driven, maintained and well taken care of by its original owner (32K miles). Its amazing all the warranty work/receipts that I have that shows what was done. In 1997 under the extended warranty from GE, just about all the gaskets were replace with the newer improved Ford gaskets. So far no signs of any fluid leaks. Surprisingly, everything works well on the car. I may have gotten lucky. LOL...

The coolant was very clean when I did the drain and flush and it runs like a Jag V12 should-cool and smooth. I also replaced the ATF which looked good but decided to do it anyways. It does help that if I need him, I do have a fantastic Jag/import mechanic 15 miles away. He was recommended to me from a good friend that has a huge car collection... Hopefully I never need his services. LOL... Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back