Jaguar XFR Oil

Have a low mileage 2010 XFR and like everyone else cannot find any oil to meet the Ford WSS-M2C925-A spec. Read all the thrrads and there's no consensus. What CAN I use safely?

Have a low mileage 2010 XFR and like everyone else cannot find any oil to meet the Ford WSS-M2C925-A spec. Read all the thrrads and there's no consensus. What CAN I use safely?
M2C945-A replaced the spec you’re referencing. M2C945-A can be used safely with no issues.

AMSOIL recommends their Signature Series 5w20 for your car. It’s an excellent oil. I don’t know who you talked with at Jaguar, but specifications get updated. I would take their advice with a big grain of salt.

AMSOIL recommends their Signature Series 5w20 for your car. It’s an excellent oil. I don’t know who you talked with at Jaguar, but specifications get updated. I would take their advice with a big grain of salt.
It's pretty well known. They only recommend one spec for the 5/0L engines and only they sell it. Nothing meets the WSS-M2C925-A spec.

It's pretty well known. They only recommend one spec for the 5/0L engines and only they sell it. Nothing meets the WSS-M2C925-A spec.

I think you're misunderstanding. I 945-A replaced 925-A and is a perfectly suitable substitute for your engine.

If it was mine, I think I'd just pick up M1 FS 0w40 or Castrol's equivalent and run with it.

And you don’t see a conflict of interest in that?

“we are the only ones selling a suitable oil”...

Was it the parts guy selling the oil who told you that?

No. 945a did not replace 925a. The only recommended are meeting 925a spec and 0W20 or 5W20. Jag

And you don’t see a conflict of interest in that?

“we are the only ones selling a suitable oil”...

Was it the parts guy selling the oil who told you that?
Of course but this has been known for many years. It's not one parts guy.

You might find these discussions of interest:

These engines were no dead end in 2010, I'd probably just follow the engines here.

car runs pretty hot makes a lot of power, just use 0w40. only other blown car i know that calls for 5w20 was the terminator.

JLR was unfortunately leaving Ford around this time so they also started transitioning away from their specs. If you want the official stuff whatever they want for a 2020 F-Type R should work, the engine has been the same for like 10 years.

I’ve heard the water pumps on these are pretty garbage, make sure you get that fixed.

Last edited:
WSS-M2C925-A is simply a spec requiring a full synthetic.
The spec does not mention anything about base oil type or requirement. It is a pretty old spec requiring a 5W-20 based off of ACEA A1/B1 but with some additional Ford-specific test requirements (oxidation stability, fuel economy). It is likely that only a synthetic will meet the performance demands but it isn't mandated. The 945-A spec is a 5W-20 based on ILSAC GF-5, so different. JLR spec STJLR.03.5004 replaced Ford 925-A (JLR have introduced their own specs to undo reliance on heritage Ford specs from their time as part of PAG).

The spec does not mention anything about base oil type or requirement. It is a pretty old spec requiring a 5W-20 based off of ACEA A1/B1 but with some additional Ford-specific test requirements (oxidation stability, fuel economy). It is likely that only a synthetic will meet the performance demands but it isn't mandated. The 945-A spec is a 5W-20 based on ILSAC GF-5, so different. JLR spec STJLR.03.5004 replaced Ford 925-A (JLR have introduced their own specs to undo reliance on heritage Ford specs from their time as part of PAG).
Thanks Weasley, I was hoping someone in the know like you would help out.

If I recall A1/B1 is no longer a current ACEA spec, so what should the OP look for as a good starting oil. A full synthetic A5/B5 in 5W20 or 0W20?

OP, just googled around based on Weasley’s knowledge that STJLR.03.5004 replaced Ford 925-A and I found a Valvoline SynPower 5W20 FE

It claims “SAE 5W-20, API SN, ACEA C5, FORD WSS-M2C948-B, Jaguar Land Rover STJLR.03.5004”

and “Suitable for use in petrol, diesel and LPG engines where SAE 5W-20 ACEA C5 (previously A1/B1) specification is required.
Especially recommended for Ford petrol engines demanding a Ford WSS-M2C948- B specification and is backwards compatible with WSS-M2C913-B motor oils, as well as WSS-M2C925-B.”
I believe M2C925-B was the updated 925-A, which is what you want.

Fuchs also has one,

and “Suitable for use in petrol, diesel and LPG engines where SAE 5W-20 ACEA C5 (previously A1/B1) specification is required.
Especially recommended for Ford petrol engines demanding a Ford WSS-M2C948- B specification and is backwards compatible with WSS-M2C913-B motor oils, as well as WSS-M2C925-B.”
I believe M2C925-B was the updated 925-A, which is what you want.

Thats interesting. My Mondeo ST220 specifies WSS-M2C913B oil. Officially, WSS-M2C913C and WSS-M2C913D oils are the secessors and fully backwards compatible. However, despite the owners manual calling for a WSS-M2C913B oil or a 5W30 A1/B1 oil all the oil websites when you search for the car suggest 5w20 oils. I wonder if this is why?

Thats interesting. My Mondeo ST220 specifies WSS-M2C913B oil. Officially, WSS-M2C913C and WSS-M2C913D oils are the secessors and fully backwards compatible. However, despite the owners manual calling for a WSS-M2C913B oil or a 5W30 A1/B1 oil all the oil websites when you search for the car suggest 5w20 oils. I wonder if this is why?
I would stick to the 913-D oil, it’s one of my favourites. It starts out as a thin 5W30 A5/B5 oil with extra TBN added for long OCI and extra ZDDP added for the Ford timing chain wear test.

To be honest, it’s probably what I would run in the Jag too.

Back