Jaguar Type X thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a year away, but starting to think about getting a replacement vehicle to drive. I like the looks of the Jaguar X series and I like the fact they are AWD. I'd likely get a 2 year old used one. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with these cars? Thanks.

Most consider the X-Type to be a glorified Ford (but then again, many think the same about Audi and VW). Its AWD isn't all that great, relative to competition (torque split only in the 40:60-60:40 range), and the car has never fared well in any of the car magazine comparison test. Interior quality does not seem to be on par with the luxury image and price tag.

I know you mentioned that you like the looks of the X-Type, but are there other cars that you're willing to consider? I'm thinking something like an Infinity G35 (available with AWD) or an Audi A6Q.

Definitely do some test-driving to see if there's something you like better.

The price used is quite attractive and I do like the looks. But I do like the G35s too. Thanks for the replies!

My sister has an '04 with the 3.0 V6. She drives it hard and has had no issues, at least in the first 20K miles, unless you count the tire she ruined bouncing it off a curb .....

I'm partial to Jaguars, having had four of them, and still own two, the latest being an '04 Xj8 I bought for the wife.

I don't know what to think of the X type, really, it's biased to the inexpensive side so you really don't get the full Jaguar experience, but I do enjoy driving my sister's car.

Living in Michigan, the AWD is attractive during the winter. The "S" type is nice too, minus the AWD

Frankly, I think if I were looking at an entry level Jaguar I would look more to the S type, as it just seems more Jaguar than the X type.

The S type was born a Jaguar and then Ford used the S as a platform for other cars, but the X type is based off the Mondeo platform, so it has been made into a Jaguar, as opposed to being born as one. There is a difference, I think.

I still keep an SUV for when I need AWD ....

we really like the x-type wagon... its a nice looking wagon. But:

-it has AWD... no good
-it doesnt have MT... no good
-it only gets 23 MPG highway... see above.

Oh well...

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Win:
Frankly, I think if I were looking at an entry level Jaguar I would look more to the S type, as it just seems more Jaguar than the X type.

Bingo. If my next car is a sedan, I'm seriously considering an S Type.

The X Type is a good looking car, but I'd choose the S Type hands down over it.

why the heck would I want AWD? It is more expensive to use (MPG) and maintain, when things go wrong, repairs are more complex, and, the inital cost to build the system is more, so the cost to purchase is more.

Give me snow tires and slow going over AWD any day.

I know how to drive in the snow and ice, Im cautious, and I know when to slow downand not push it. If its real icy out, it isnt the conditions to go out anyway.

AWD in cars with minimal ground clearance isnt all that great in snow anyway, as the car scrapeson the snow.

to each their own, Im not accelerating and doing 0-60 runs on twisty tracks, I drive carefully, and we havent had any issues yet.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
we really like the x-type wagon... its a nice looking wagon. But:

-it has AWD... no good
-it doesnt have MT... no good
-it only gets 23 MPG highway... see above.

Oh well...

JMH

I don't think they are intended to be an economical car, so anyone looking for high mpg would likely be disappointed.

They do have X types that would fit your wants - but they don't sell them here.

Our market gets only the top of the line models. My wife would never be able to tell the difference between an Xj6 and the Xj8 because she never exceeds the speed limit, but they don't sell an Xj6 here, so I had to fork over for the Xj8.
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Give me snow tires and slow going over AWD any day.

Yea, so Subaru's new ad is:

"Airbags save lives. AWD saves airbags".

Yea, I'd like to see how AWD saves airbags when you're going too fast for conditions...

If you like a tarted up Ford Contour/Mondeo, then you'll like the X-Type.

Not a bad car, I liked my Contour, but I think there are better cars out there.

quote:

Totally agree.

X-Type are Jaguar in name only and are more high-end Ford in spirit.

If you want Jaguar, then consider S-Type 3.0. That level are where true Jaguar start.

Compare both models and you'll see what I'm on about.
cool.gif

What's wrong with a "high end Ford"?

For those who say "who needs AWD?", have you ever driven one in 8-12" of wet snow vs. a 2wd? Just because you have AWD or 4wd, that doesn't mean you should drive faster in any given condition.

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
For those who say "who needs AWD?", have you ever driven one in 8-12" of wet snow vs. a 2wd? Just because you have AWD or 4wd, that doesn't mean you should drive faster in any given condition.

Having owned an AWD car before, I can say that AWD is nice, but I wouldn't exactly call it a necessity. We're talking about family/sporty sedans here with rather low ground clearance. Even if you have AWD, driving it in 12" of snow may be a challenge. On the other hand, most major roads are cleared rather fast, so it's very rare that you'll encounter so much snow accumulation. And if you live somewhere out in the boonies, you're better off with a higher ground clearance truck, me thinks.

Subaru is the fastest growing manufacturer here and every vehiclec is AWD. Safer better built vehicles. They just don't break. I've had 26 cars and our Sube Outback is better than the rest put together. Will never buy from anybody else.

The styling on the Subies (Legacy, since I'm guessing the original poster does not want a wagon - Outback) is not everyone's cup of tea, but I agree, they're good, reliable cars with one of the best AWD systems out there.

My thoughts on the Jaguar X type is that it looks an awful lot like an 03' Hyundai Sonata.
A person in my area leased one and I thought it was a Hyundai the first few times I saw it.
I suppose buying it used is a good idea so that the original owner takes the big depreciation hit.
If you aren't too concerned about 'image' you might be better off looking for an AWD Ford 500 which is also a very nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back