jaguar s-type 4.0L oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Hi, Im new to this site but so far have found this site very helpful. 9 months ago I purchased this veh with 65K miles on odometer. I am wondering if any other members have recommendations on what oil to use. Owners manual advises to use 0w30 ,5w30 or 10w40 in hot climates. Veh currently has 75K miles and I have performed 2 OCIs so far. first I used Amsoil 5w30 for 9k miles with no problems and last week I changed fuel filter which I noticed was pretty clogged and also switched to GC for the oil. Everything fine on day 1 but on day 2, I filled up with Citgo gasoline 93 octane and noticed a hesitation at idle. I am not sure if I have bad gas or if it is related to new fuel filter(not sure how), or if it is possibly the German Castrol(again not sure how). Any advice or suggestions?

Excellent car! Eventually, I plan to own an S-Type R.
cheers.gif

GC are excellent oil choice. Problem seem down to choice of fuel. Consider BP/Amoco Ultimate 93 or one of Top Tier fuels such as Shell V-Power:
http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

I would never consider Citgo fuels for that car.

thanks for advise so far. I plan on adding gas treatment later today as I am also leaning toward bad gas being the culprit.

Hi, Im new to this site but so far have found this site very helpful. 9 months ago I purchased this veh with 65K miles on odometer. I am wondering if any other members have recommendations on what oil to use. Owners manual advises to use 0w30 ,5w30 or 10w40 in hot climates. Veh currently has 75K miles and I have performed 2 OCIs so far. first I used Amsoil 5w30 for 9k miles with no problems and last week I changed fuel filter which I noticed was pretty clogged and also switched to GC for the oil. Everything fine on day 1 but on day 2, I filled up with Citgo gasoline 93 octane and noticed a hesitation at idle. I am not sure if I have bad gas or if it is related to new fuel filter(not sure how), or if it is possibly the German Castrol(again not sure how). Any advice or suggestions?

Changing the fuel filter and the recent change here in TX over to the "summer blend" of gas might have made a small difference at idle. I would be very surprised if your oil made any difference. GC 0w30 might be thicker than amsoil 5w30, but i would not think that would affect the idle.

You might try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and allowing the computer to reset. This might help compensate for the recent 1-2 punch to the fuel system. Also try a bottle of valvoline synthetic GAS treatment in your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back