Jaguar F-Type V8 Supercharged.....0W20. Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine has a Jag F-TYPE with the blower 5.0. I was kind of dumbfounded when I flicked through the owners manual to find 0W20 as the only recommended oil.....at all.

Went online to Jaguar's customer center and pulled up the rec there......0W20.

Now, he beats the ever loving daylights out of this car. Something about a Supercharged 5.0 510HP V8 carrying such a thin oil feels ridiculous to me.

My Eurotrash V8 doesn't even make that much power and Maserati has now upped my spec from 5W40 to 10W60 for hot climes.

He's up for an oil change, and part of me wants to dump in some Euro 0/40.

Is there really some engineering magic I'm missing here that he should go with 0W20 on an out of warranty car like this getting it's ashes hauled in the middle of FL summer?

It requires a very specific type of 0W-20 - one that is approved against the STJLR.51.5122 spec:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/motul-production2/images/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/82995/Specific_5122_0W-20_%28GB%29.pdf?1516116680

HTHS of 2.7
shocked2.gif

Not going into any v8 I own.

Do these cars burn a lot of oil?

Last edited:
A lot of the new BMW turbo engines call for 0w20 too (except the M cars) I just don't see how those engines are going to survive 200 to 300k with only a 2.7 HTHS. If it were mine, I'd run an oil with a 3.5 HTHS for sure.

Originally Posted by Patman
A lot of the new BMW turbo engines call for 0w20 too (except the M cars) I just don't see how those engines are going to survive 200 to 300k with only a 2.7 HTHS. If it were mine, I'd run an oil with a 3.5 HTHS for sure.

Is 200k to 300k lifespan high on their list of must-haves when those owners are shopping? I'm guessing most of them can easily afford a rebuild or two, but I'm also guessing most owners are not going to run long enough to need one (either drive sparingly or own for but a few years). Exceptions to ever rule but I wonder this is being overthought.

Does the Jag have any sort of oil to coolant heat exchanger? I'm wonder if the oil temps are well controlled.

Interesting comment. According to Carintelligent.com, 70% of new BMW's in the USA are leased. Very few new "owners" have any intention of taking their Beemers to 200,000 miles (or km for that matter), let alone 300,000 miles.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Interesting comment. According to Carintelligent.com, 70% of new BMW's in the USA are leased. Very few new "owners" have any intention of taking their Beemers to 200,000 miles (or km for that matter), let alone 300,000 miles.
smile.gif

But what about the second and third owners of these cars? We bought my wife's BMW with 80,000km on it, and it was 4 years old so I'm sure it was just off lease. We now have 185,000 km on it and plan to keep it a while longer, as long as it continues to be reliable actually. When we do eventually need to replace it, I'm sure it'll be with another 3 series, possibly one of the ones that specifies 0w20. I definitely will run something more suited to that engine for longevity than 0w20.

Yup, it's not the first owners who put on the 200,000 miles. Then when they turn it in, it's off warranty and you can do whatever you think you need to maximize the life of the car.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I did not know that stat … but knew BMW drivers around the water cooler did lease plans and then got another …

On 0w20, it even bothers me a bit in my GM V8's … but when I compared all the lube system changes to my 2010 … they did far more than change paper …

Yup, it's not the first owners who put on the 200,000 miles. Then when they turn it in, it's off warranty and you can do whatever you think you need to maximize the life of the car.
smile.gif

But what worries me is that BMW (and probably Jaguar too) offers free maintenance to the original owners of these cars and will be using that 0w20, so how much life is taken out of those engines by having 0w20 in there for the first few years?

Looks like VAG is doing the same thing in most 2019 cars. 508 00 is a 0w-20.

There is a lot of regulatory pressure on efficiency, not longevity on the OE's. If a 20 grade oil causes 5% more wear but 1% better fuel economy then that's the way it will be!

5% more wear means the engine will be done at 190k miles vs. 200k miles. Long out of warranty.

smile.gif

But what worries me is that BMW (and probably Jaguar too) offers free maintenance to the original owners of these cars and will be using that 0w20, so how much life is taken out of those engines by having 0w20 in there for the first few years?

The folks that go in for the "free" maintenance in these cars don't care. Most of them won't be keeping the car for that long. The enthusiasts will put the better oil into those cars to keep the engine in the best shape.

smile.gif

This.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
HTHS of 2.7
shocked2.gif

Not going into any v8 I own.

Do these cars burn a lot of oil?

My sons 2016 GMC Tahoe 6 ltr calls for 0-20, and with 100K on the engine it still uses no oil in his 10K OCIs. A friend has a 2014 Silverado with the 5.3 with 120K and it calls for 0-20. Both my son and my friend use M1 020.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Now, he beats the ever loving daylights out of this car. Something about a Supercharged 5.0 510HP V8 carrying such a thin oil feels ridiculous to me.
It is nice when some one appreciates the power ! I was called my friend the other day and he said talk louder I am going over 100 mph. I asked are you in your plane ? He said no I am driving the Beemer. He has a the big turbo BMW ! I got a smile.

smile.gif

Old school thinking. You boys really do underestimate 0-20 oils or at least the 0-20 I have used for the last 9 years and some 480K miles.

I've run 5w-20 in my overworked Ford engined tow monster without issue and great UOAs. But I also doesn't make 510HP. It also doesn't have to deal with the heat of a blower.

Most of these supercharged cars with air/liquid intercoolers tend to run darned hot at the limit.

I'm glad he enjoys pulling 10/10ths out of the car too. I'd like for him not to end up with a rod knock over it.

My VW 1,4 tsi specs a rather "thin" 20 grade too. VW 508/509

This engine output would be the equivalent of

a 2.8 litre turbo V8

making 295 HP and 368 lb-ft torque

If we simply double the numbers for the 1.4

Impressive. And this is a fuel economy tune.

Now I am worried. Oh I forgot - it's a lease.
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back