Jacking the rear of 98 mustang question

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I am curious about how to safely jack the rear of my 98 mustang, which is new to me. The owners manual that came with the car, says in BOLD letters, to NOT jack the rear of the car from the center of the differential. It does not of course say why. I asked on a mustang forum, and was told that the manual was probably referring to using the factory tire changing jack, as it could fall off too easily. I think that it looks like that the parts are solid and strong enough to lift from the center, but want to see what everybody here thinks, before I use my floor jack and mess up something. I usually (on other cars) just jack up with the jack under the differential, and then put jack stands under the outer ends of the axles.
As a side note, my 65 mustang also says that, but everybody I have spoken to, and myself, do it that way, and never a problem.

They say that because it could possibly change the pinion angle. That being said I usually use the pumpkin to lift mine, or to be more accurate lift when on 4 stands so I can remove the rear 2.

EDIT: I had a 98 GT with a bunch of Maximum Motorsports parts including the full length subframe connectors so I could lift it all all sorts of ways.

Last edited:
The axle shafts are press fit into the differential housing. It is possible to shift their alignment. Use a jack near the spring mount u-bolts On each side individually, then support each with a jack stand under the tube near the springs.

Originally Posted by tcp71
The axle shafts are press fit into the differential housing. It is possible to shift their alignment. Use a jack near the spring mount u-bolts On each side individually, then support each with a jack stand under the tube near the springs.

The springs don't mount to the differential on a 98 Mustang. They mount to the lower control arm, assuming it is still a factory configuration.

Use the mounting points on the body and then place jack stands for the safest way.

seeing that its a straight axle on this model mustang, I see no problem with jacking up under the diff housing, I then put stands under each side of the axle right on the tubes by the shocks etc so it sits level and sturdy and then you can remove the jack and give you room to work underneath it etc.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
They say that because it could possibly change the pinion angle. That being said I usually use the pumpkin to lift mine, or to be more accurate lift when on 4 stands so I can remove the rear 2.

"the owners manual that came with the car, says in BOLD letters, to NOT jack the rear of the car from the center of the differential." so you are suggesting he can do exactly that?

Originally Posted by atikovi

"the owners manual that came with the car, says in BOLD letters, to NOT jack the rear of the car from the center of the differential." so you are suggesting he can do exactly that?

I am saying that I have done it many times fully knowing the consequences of my actions. But I also usually wear shorts and flip flops working on my cars so I obviously run a safety first operation.

But I also usually wear shorts and flip flops working on my cars so I obviously run a safety first operation.

you sure you're not secretly David Freiburger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back