Jack Welch Dies at 84

Status
Not open for further replies.
GE's former CEO dies at 84. RIP Jack Welch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
My guess is GE would nearly do anything to have a healthy 40 year old Jack Welsh presently.

Big time!

My guess is GE would nearly do anything to have a healthy 40 year old Jack Welsh presently.

Yep. That place has gone through the wringer the last 20 some odd years.

Last edited:
I think y'all need to do a little more research on Jack Welch and his legacy at G.E. I don't think he'll be missed as much as you think.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by PimTac
Actually his name is Jack Welch.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/jack-welch-obit-ge.html

Yes, typo too late to edit. Thanks.

Maybe with some luck a mod will see and correct it.

Yes a very good reason to extend edit time.

Yes but that opens up issues we had before.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I think y'all need to do a little more research on Jack Welch and his legacy at G.E. I don't think he'll be missed as much as you think.

That would depend on what end you were on. GE was a bloated company lacking direction. Welch changed that but it took a lot of paring of the workforce.

Exactly!

Scratch the surface of the myth and it's a cesspool.

Indeed. Acquiring is easy, keeping it all together while making $$ is a lot harder.

Having had, as I'm sure many of you have, worked for companies with less-than-stellar CEOs I have observed that a lot more than good management comes into play when it comes to market valuation and shareholder return. Prior to the early 80s CEOs cared more about real company performance than just the bottom line, share prices, and their bonuses. Putting all that aside, if the company does well financially, but treats its employees poorly is the CEO still "good?" I think that these days CEOs put real long term gains well behind their own wealth enhancement. What can you do, though? The world has changed a lot since the 1980s.

Having had, as I'm sure many of you have, worked for companies with less-than-stellar CEOs I have observed that a lot more than good management comes into play when it comes to market valuation and shareholder return. Prior to the early 80s CEOs cared more about real company performance than just the bottom line, share prices, and their bonuses. Putting all that aside, if the company does well financially, but treats its employees poorly is the CEO still "good?" I think that these days CEOs put real long term gains well behind their own wealth enhancement. What can you do, though? The world has changed a lot since the 1980s.

I seem to remember compensation packages changed (Salary + bonus --> Salary + Stock Options) due to changes in tax law. Stock options only dilute shareholder wealth rather than impact net income of the company.

His method of reviewing employees was forced on many US corporations by boards thinking he was the end all be all. Every department had to rate at least 10% of its employees as totally unsatisfactory every year. That is probably OK and even desirable when you have hundreds of folks in the pool but my large Fortune 500 company where I spent 30 years applied it to depts of three people in customer service, for example, where each person had decades of experience and was doing a bang up job. Fire one a year and bring in a college kid that knew nothing. So his legacy will not be missed by a lot of folks. Funny hopw people outsdie the company always seem to know more than the people that work there every day.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Wasn't he known as Jack "Hacksaw" Welch?

Scott

It was "Neutron Jack" for his penchant to "kill multitudes without destroying cities" (which the latter is arguable). Doubtful that many will miss him and I would be skeptical that a younger version of Welch could do anything with GE today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back