J20D Hy-Gard Low Viscosity Oil Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the viscosity of J20D Hy-Gard Low Viscosity oil? Or maybe have a link to the complete specs of the oil. I have searched the interwebs and haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

Property
Units
ASTM
method
Hy-Gard
Hy-Gard
Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard
Viscosity
mm2/s (cSt)
D-445

40 degrees C

100 degrees C

Pour Point
degrees C

Flash point (min.)
degrees C

Total base no.
mg KOH/g

Viscosity index
-

That was quick! Thanks for the info and link.

That leads me to the other issue: other than that fluid itself, what could be used as a reasonable substitute? Would a 5W-50 or 20W-50 full synthetic be a reasonable replacement? If not, what would?

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
That was quick! Thanks for the info and link.

That leads me to the other issue: other than that fluid itself, what could be used as a reasonable substitute? Would a 5W-50 or 20W-50 full synthetic be a reasonable replacement? If not, what would?

A 50wt oil is about twice as thick (or more) as low-vis hy-gard. The closest engine oil would be a 20wt. Dex/Merc or Type F atf would be a much better match than engine oil.

That's interesting. It's for a Tuff Torq K58 transaxle that someone in another forum was asking about. I am surprised as many, many TT models are spec'd for 5W-50.

I believe jd low vis hygard replaces ATF type F if that helps any

no doubt the JD stuff is better.

its actually a really good product, would use it where spec'ed its not even terribly high priced.

Last edited:
If a john Deere dealer is close by there is no need to substitute. It isn't any more expensive than any substitute you will find.

Engine oil is made for engines not transmissions.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
If a john Deere dealer is close by there is no need to substitute. It isn't any more expensive than any substitute you will find.

Engine oil is made for engines not transmissions.

The OP in the other forum has already put his transaxle back together and refilled it with Castrol Syntec 5W-50.

I think the original intent of that thread was to find an alternative since the JD dealer was closed today (Sunday) and he wanted to get the job done quickly. I was just curious as to what could be substituted for that fluid... just pure curiousity. I don't own any JD equipment.
smile.gif

My next door neighbor is the general manager of a John Deere Construction equipment dealership.

The last time that I changed out the Lo-Vis Hy-Gard fluid in my 425 AWS, I mentioned to him trying to find a substitute for it... he immediately responded with "Don't do it".

If there were some sort of an acceptable substitute out there that he knew of, I know that he'd tell me. I mentioned ISO 32, and he waved it off, and said it is not the same.

He told me that the Lo-Vis Hy-Gard is actually a semi-synthetic blend.

He had no financial interest in this, as I was only going to be buying 6 quarts, and the smallest amount that he could sell me would be a 5 gallon bucket.

I paid a little over $4 a quart for it at the JD Ag dealer. Considering that I pay the same amount of money for a quart of semi-synthetic Pennzoil for my truck, I'm not going to complain about what John Deere charges on this.

Of course, finding it on a Sunday is still going to be an issue...
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back