I've tried, but I can't figure why Toyota wants the oil cap on this way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of my motivation to post that response was listening to a service writer tell a customer that 5w-30 was recommended but that a much thicker oil like 10w-30 should be used for Southern California, that it was twice as thick and therefore gave twice the protection. He also warned the customer that Mobil 1 was too thin for any engine, except those that had the Mobil 1 logo on the fill cap. Those engines were designed to run on thinner oil and had special seals that would not leak. He said that everyone knew that Toyota V8's would 'leak like a sieve' with any synthetic oil. I wonder if he told the customer that his oil fill cap might blow off. Anyhow, three of us lined up to hear this service writer talk. If he gets this pitch down, he might try it at the Comedy Store. I'll bet he could give my pitch with a straight face and even Pablo would bite.

Toyota Esco or O-side?
We show get a video of him and put it up on here as cannon fodder.

I would have "coughed" and said b.s.
repeatedly.

No, it's threaded. You just screw the cap on. The cap does have a fancy mechanism in it that "releases" and starts "clicking" once you've screwed the cap tight enough. That's what's so funny (well, one of the things...) about this -- you can screw the cap to any position you want. We've owned the "tree" for 5.5 years now, and this one's new on me. I really can't see any reason why the orientation of the finger grip on the cap would make any difference at all.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Part of my motivation to post that response was listening to a service writer tell a customer that 5w-30 was recommended but that a much thicker oil like 10w-30 should be used for Southern California, that it was twice as thick and therefore gave twice the protection.

Oh, do please tell us the stealership's name!

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
No, it's threaded. You just screw the cap on. The cap does have a fancy mechanism in it that "releases" and starts "clicking" once you've screwed the cap tight enough.

I see, it works just like the gas cap on an ultra high precision GM product.
tongue.gif

Its the warranty. If something goes wrong, and you were running it with the oil filler cap misaligned, ''Sorry''.

Ya know, I'd be willing to bet a fair amount that this is the only forum in the entire, vast expanse of the internet where a thread addressing the "proper" resting orientation of the finger grip of an oil cap makes it well into two pages. . .
tongue.gif

I missed the semester that covered oil cap and dipstick orientation. I've been messing up all these years. Geez, at least my check engine light reminds me when my gas cap is left behind.

quote:

So that the next dummy under the hood doesn't search high and low for "710 ENIGNE" brand oil to do an oil change.

lol.gif
I was having a mediocher $hitty day in the lab untill I read this
cheers.gif
Awesome sense of humor, Thanks.

Bry
canada.gif

Lou:

No! Stop! Go straighten that oil filler cap now!!! Your 2UZ will melt down in no time with the cap sitting like that!

Bry:

Now you just be careful. We haven't seen any UOAs yet on this mysterious "710 Enigne" stuff yet. No telling what it be. . .
tongue.gif

EDIT: This one's sure fun, but it's still hard to top the story from Car & Driver a couple years ago about the young lady who went to the dealer to pick up her boyfriend's "Fiso" pickup (I may have the exact details off, but you get the idea...). Ouch.
cheers.gif

I think that the oil cap also functions as a remote drain valve. By turning the cap parallel to the bumper it will open the valve in the oil pan and let the oil drain out.

I would just like to point out that the proper spelling is '710 3N19N3.' It took a while, but there had been something bothering me that I couldn't put my finger on.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Ya know, I'd be willing to bet a fair amount that this is the only forum in the entire, vast expanse of the internet where a thread addressing the "proper" resting orientation of the finger grip of an oil cap makes it well into two pages. . .
tongue.gif

It is still a page behind Pablo's rock.

Now that we have that settled, has anyone read the Toyota TSB on switching for 5w-30 to 5w-20 in certain approved models? The switch includes a dip stick with markings that make the oil level one quart higher?

LGF:

If you look at the TSB, on its face, it does not mention the dipstick change, which has been discussed here in another context. AFAIK, this change only happened with the xZZ engines (not sure if all of them, or just some). I have not heard of it happening with the others, but it's possible.

quote:

Originally posted by Louie's gone fishing:
Now that we have that settled, has anyone read the Toyota TSB on switching for 5w-30 to 5w-20 in certain approved models? The switch includes a dip stick with markings that make the oil level one quart higher?

That is interesting. I always thought the oil level was specified as high as possible without getting into foaming due to crankshaft thrashing? It is OK to add a quart?

Does this oil cap nonsense make much less sense than 3 month, 3 K oil changes and 2 year brake fluid changes? If you have engine trouble, make sure the oil cap is right before the dealer sees it. Has anybody checked theirs after an Iffy Lube oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back