I've never seen this before.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in October of 08 I did a major AC on a 2003 Explorer with a 4.6L v8.

It came back yesterday
frown.gif

Customer complaint of no cold air. I checked for pressure and it had none so I aired it up expecting to find a blown hose.

Had a huge leak coming from the engine side of the compressor. The compressor BTW is a major job to replace on this truck.

I pulled the compressor out and this is what I found.

0626090826.jpg

No metal in the orifice tube.

I replaced the compressor with another brand new one, new dryer new tube, oil and charged it back up.

I have never seen one actully blow apart.

We give a year warranty and ate this job since it was less than a year since I did it.

Maybe a casting defect in the original compressor or maybe it hydro-locked and created excess pressure to build up?
shocked2.gif

Thanks for posting the pic
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
maybe it hydro-locked and created excess pressure to build up?
shocked2.gif

That is a possibility since the compressor is mounted low. But why 8 months after I installed it?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: StevieC
maybe it hydro-locked and created excess pressure to build up?
shocked2.gif

That is a possibility since the compressor is mounted low. But why 8 months after I installed it?
This happened in my Dodge-Caravan a year after we charged it. Not sure why, but it caused the electronic clutch wires to burn and start a fire under the hood and the engine aresa went up into flames. The compressor never blew a hole, but it was one from the 80's and was a heavy duty unit from the looks of it. So maybe one with a lighter/thinner casting like the ones found in today's vehicles it could of blown a hole?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back