I've finally found peace of mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of worrying about the silly small thing regarding oil, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. I don't stock up on oil (only to worry about its shelf life) and rush out to buy it for a bothersome mail in rebate anymore. I simply buy it when I need it.

2. I don't worry if I should use the outrageously priced boutique synthetic oils. I use conventional oil, and change it every 5k miles. Considering going REAL simple and using SuperTech.

3. I don't bother with silly UOA's anymore.

4. I use Motorcraft and Purolator filters.

5. I use oil of the weight that my owner's manual calls for.

6. I don't use any additives in my oil, or worry if I should, or worry about if the oil I'm using will contain enough ppm's of calcium, magnesium, or boron, or any other elements or metals.

7. I find myself sleeping real good at night.

8. I hope I can stay like this.

9. I still have a tendency to be anal retentive and obsessive compulsive about my vehicle maintenance
smile.gif

Not done with this site. This site is an excellent resource.

I've just realized that I have an opinion, and I am an expert on my own opinion.

Me too,now i just take pride in reading everyone else on here being under or over oiled to the point of non decision and misery,although it's only been recently,with my decision to run QSUD in all but the truck in my fleet,that peace has finally settled in.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: jorton
I'm still working on #5.

If you think you've found peace of mind wait until you find your brand. Then you'll still be able to sleep even if you substitute one bottle for a different grade!

Nice....sounds like a good plan. Granted, I've been a fan of conventional oils due to them being "cheaper" - I've found synthetic oils to be more convenient in the long run, and really, more cost-effective.

But I know what you mean, when you start running OCIs over 6-7k miles, that "paranoia" kicks in, and you go wondering if you're hurting your engine, and so then you hit up B-S for a oil analysis, which costs MORE money (which you could have saved, if you just ran the conventional oil for it's 3-4k.....lol)

I like #1 for the most part.....I know in years pat, particular hurricane season in the south, gas prices went SKY HIGH, due to price gouging, and people running out to fill up all 4 of their cars, all 12 of their gas cans, and the 12 empty milk cartons they had sitting in their garage ready to be picked up by the local Recylers.....in fear that their would be a "gas shortage" - when in fact, they themselves are causing the gas shortage, and the price(s) to sky-rocket, due to their over-usage of the fuel.

Granted, this can be tied to motor oil as well, company A releases a rebate, consumers go out in droves to pick up said rebates, when they already have 12 gallons of oil in their garage....? For what?

That's why I only buy it when I need it, and only fill up when I need it (1/4 tank).

#6 is a good one, though I do still use some additives, particularly MMO every OCI, (1 pint only...) and maybe some seafoam on the day before my planned oil change.

Quote:
9. I still have a tendency to be anal retentive and obsessive compulsive about my vehicle maintenance
smile.gif

No problem with that, it'll keep your car running in tip-top shape. My sister would always scoff at me for working on my vehicle(s); whether it be detailing them, cleaning up under the hood, changing the oil, etc.....and she was one to change her oil every 5k, every time she had the oil changed, she never had oil on the dipstick, well; needless to say, my cars outlasted hers
smile.gif
Who's scoffing now
smile.gif
I even told her, [censored] if it was leaking that bad, all you had to do was keep oil in it, she told me she checked the oil, saw it was low, and didn't know how to ADD oil to the engine! I was like [censored]? She has 5 brothers including myself, and never asked us where to put it though....pfft lo.

I think its worthwhile if a sale is good enough to stock up on a few brands of oil. Specially with prices going up and up.

you must have realized no matter what current brand oil you put in, is going to work for 5K changes-filters as well
Welcome to The Club

What about mixing and blending oils of various grades, weights, families and synthetic with Dino,? I don't see that on your list. Keep the dream alive.....get the deal while you can.

Good list. Though I wouldn't put your #1 on my list. I shop for deals, and usually rebates are the deal maker there.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
That is all that is needed to have your vehicles last and last.

Pretty much!

You guys have got me laughing! Always good for a laugh and a smile.

No denial here. I am meticulous enough about everything, no need to wonder if Mobil Super 5000 will be good enough, or should I use PP instead due to the additive package, etc. Not gonna stress about it anymore!

I tried to think of a number 10, just couldn't do it.
It will dawn on me tomorrow.

RL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back