I've decided... I will use M1 10w30 in my new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a kit from Blackstone, After the first change(5,000 mi.) I'll post the results, and you guys can help me decipher it. Jsut dont let that GUido guy ring in with his formula's. A little over my head.
cheers.gif

~SoftPoint

quote:

I still wish M1 was a bit thicker though. Instead of being 10cst at 100c, it should be at least 11 cst

I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing M1 a tad bit thicker. But you could always add LC or a qt. of 15w-50 or D1 to bump it up a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I still wish M1 was a bit thicker though. Instead of being 10cst at 100c, it should be at least 11 cst

I agree, I wouldn't mind seeing M1 a tad bit thicker. But you could always add LC or a qt. of 15w-50 or D1 to bump it up a bit.

True, but the problem with that is that then the oil not only gets thicker at 100c, but at 40c too. I would rather keep the low end 40c viscosity unchanged, but have the 100c viscosity bumped up. I'd really love to see someone do a VOA on their 15w50/10w30 mix to see what the viscosity at both 40c and 100c turns into.

quote:

someone do a VOA on their 15w50/10w30 mix to see what the viscosity at both 40c and 100c turns into

Thats a good idea. I might actually do that. M1 could definitely be better if they thickened it to about 11. It would also have higher HT/HS and lower consumption.
cheers.gif

I wish I had another test vehicle in my "fleet", then I'd try out the 15w50/10w30 mix!
smile.gif

I'm losing one of the test vehicles soon though, my sister's moving out west this fall.
frown.gif

I will do a UOA occasionally on my dad's new Volvo though (2004 XC70) but he'll be getting oil changes at the dealer, so I'll have to use the Vampire pump (which I haven't tried out yet and am curious to see if I can actually work this sucker or not!)

I checcked and I do not have an oil cooler, I do have an external transmission cooler though. So Patman, based on your knowledge of Mobil1, do you think I should have stayed with the 5w30?
cheers.gif

SoftPoint

I would like to know how Mobil 1 10W-30 fairs against the 5W-30 on the 4-ball wear test and on the timken test!
My choice would be Royal Purple all the way. It seems to stay in grade better and the purple colr is cool
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SoftPoint:
I checcked and I do not have an oil cooler, I do have an external transmission cooler though. So Patman, based on your knowledge of Mobil1, do you think I should have stayed with the 5w30?
cheers.gif

SoftPoint

In the case of almost every synthetic oil, if you were to do oil analysis on each of those viscosities, you'd find results to be pretty close, with the slight edge given to the 5w30, and a much bigger advantage as the outside temps get colder.

Based on this, you might as well run the 5w30 all year round, since it doesn't have a problem handling summer weather either. I used to have a big problem accepting 5w30 myself, due to seeing so many oil analysis results in the past where it thinned out. But as long as this isn't happening, there is no reason to avoid 5w30 at all. Having the oil that much thinner on a cold start can still benefit you even in the summertime.

quote:

Originally posted by oildude1001:
I would like to know how Mobil 1 10W-30 fairs against the 5W-30 on the 4-ball wear test and on the timken test!
My choice would be Royal Purple all the way. It seems to stay in grade better and the purple colr is cool
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif

Based on many UOAs on here, I wouldn't exactly say Royal Purple stays in grade better than Mobil 1. My own UOAs on each of these oils proves otherwise so far.

quote:

So with 500miles on the new truck, I swapped it out with Mobil1 10w30. I hope I did the right thing!
Cheers!
fruit.gif

SoftPoint

Good for you!
cheers.gif

Now we can get into the how long do you run it, debate!!!

I'll start. How about run it 5,000 do a filter change and run it 5,000. At the end do a sample.

quote:

cheers.gif

SoftPoint

Honestly, I would bet that the Mobil 1 10w30 will flow better in the cold than a conventional 5w30.

If you want the best of both worlds, run Mobil 1 5w30 next time.

quote:

I live 3 miles from work, and most of my driving will be this, short trip, stop & go. So how does that make you feel about my choice?
And no, I have no external oil cooler.
cheers.gif

~SoftPoint

Oops, I guess I should have read the rest of the thread.

10w30 will be fine for now, but I would look at the lighter viscosity for your short trips. With the lower milage you will be putting on this, I would change according to time instead of miles.

Do a filter change at 6 months, change the oil once a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back