I've come to a fork in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm nearing the end of my Auto-RX treatment. which path would you go if you were me? I'd kinda like to get back to a PAO oil.

1:
Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w30
Mobil1 0w40

2:
Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40

--Matt

What type car and driving ? How many miles on the motor ?

[ December 10, 2002, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

right, mobil1 is the only PAO, normally I'd just use the rotella. I'm just wondering if the PAO would be the better route. It's a saturn with 160K miles on it. I do tend to drive with a lead foot on occasion and the 40wt oil works quite well. am I ok just to stick with the rotella or is it beneficial to go to the mobil1. I like to run 3-4k drain intervals.

--Matt

mkosem
Auto-Rx highly rec you run dino for a while after dropping the Auto-Rx. I would not go straight to syn but then it's your vehicle I guess. Why not follow the instructions?

If you want a PAO oil, then Mobil 1 is about the only easily available PAO synthetic out there.

I personally think the Rotella Syn would be a good choice. If AutoRx says to use conventional oil for the next change after you dump the AutoRx, I'd use the Formula Shell 10w30 (available at Advance Auto for around $1.00 a quart) and then switch to the Rotella Syn when you change again.

If you're going with Mobil 1, use Mobil Drive Clean 10w30 after you dump the AutoRx and then switch to the Mobil 1 at the next change.

[ December 10, 2002, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

well, rotella is kind of a dino. but you recommend that I use a grpII or grpII+ instead? Would there be any advantage to me using the mobil1 over the rotella(other than availablilty)? The supersyn seems to be a very good oil as far as antiwear go's. I guess I'll just put drive clean 5w30 in and switch to the 0w40 after 1k miles. Does that sound like a good plan? The calcium in the drive clean is supposed to be good for higher mileage engines too.

--Matt

hmm, I see you recommend drive clean 10w30. saturn recommends 5w30 in freezing weather. Since that is a dino oil wouldn't a 5w30 be better for the short drain interval I plan to run?

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
hmm, I see you recommend drive clean 10w30. saturn recommends 5w30 in freezing weather. Since that is a dino oil wouldn't a 5w30 be better for the short drain interval I plan to run?

I only recommended 10w30 because I thought I remembered you saying in a previous thread that your car was very high mileage and used oil. In a conventional oil, it should use less 10w30 than 5w30.

right, but I'm just using the dino for a very short time to follow up the auto-rx. Is there any reason other than consumption that would make a 10w30 better for me?

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
right, but I'm just using the dino for a very short time to follow up the auto-rx. Is there any reason other than consumption that would make a 10w30 better for me?

Nothing comes to mind. Most conventional 5w30 oils are actually made with a higher VI base oil (Group II+) than the 10w30s, so from that standpoint, they are a "better" oil.

I've read elswhere on this forum that Mobil Drive Clean oil is Group I based. I believe this is totally erroneous, especially for the 5w20 and 5w30 grades. It's virtually impossible to meet GF-3 standards in those grades with all Group I base oil.

heh, ok, I think I'll just pick up some drive clean and run it for 1000 miles or so. Then jump into 3-5K drains on 0w40 mobil1

--Matt

"I've read elswhere on this forum that Mobil Drive Clean oil is Group I based. I believe this is totally erroneous, especially for the 5w20 and 5w30 grades. It's virtually impossible to meet GF-3 standards in those grades with all Group I base oil. "

No, you can take Group I base oils with an advanced additive package and meet any EO spec.

I think Mobil Drive Clean in dino or the blend would be fine for 3-5 k drain intervals.

Mobil 1 0W40 is OK as well for longer drain intervals.

[ December 10, 2002, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

nonono, my plan is this:

Drive Clean 5w30 for 1,000 miles
Mobil1 0w40 from that point on for 3-5k intervals

--Matt

OOOOOK!
cheers.gif

Also-do you intend to do extended drain? Do you drive hard? Noticed you are in Ohio so winter and 40 wt. may not be the best of choices especially if you don't drive too hard. Hower having said that I plan on using the Totella Syn when I change in Jan. Also used the 5W-40 Delvac in my daughter-in-law's car.

So I really don't practice what I preach
dunno.gif
. Neither vehicle is driven hard and I am at the approximate latitude as you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back