I've come to a fork in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
No, you can take Group I base oils with an advanced additive package and meet any EO spec.

Not from what I've read in the lubricant publications--unless by "additive package" you mean some Group IV or Group V base oil.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
No, you can take Group I base oils with an advanced additive package and meet any EO spec.

Not from what I've read in the lubricant publications--unless by "additive package" you mean some Group IV or Group V base oil.

Schaeffers mineral and blends use a group I not a group II.

Many fail to understand, These groups are not #'d in respect to quality which appears many think that if it's group II, it' better than group I. Not true.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Schaeffers mineral and blends use a group I not a group II.

Many fail to understand, These groups are not #'d in respect to quality which appears many think that if it's group II, it' better than group I. Not true.
Bob, Schaeffer's own spec sheets for the 7000 5w30 and Micron Moly 5w30 say they use Group II and Group II+, and the wording of the 10w30 spec sheet ("hydroconverted") would indicate a Group II is used in that blend as well.

The saturate and aromatic specs for a Group II base oil do indicate that it is "better" than a Group I.

Sorry, the 5w30 blend is the exception with schaeffers, all the rest are group I according to our chief chemist/cls.

As for the Sat's in schaeffers case, they use >90 unlike the standard group I of =
As for group II being better that is only correct in certain applications. But also in certain applicatins group I is better than group II.

[ December 11, 2002, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Sorry, the 5w30 blend is the exception with schaeffers, all the rest are group I according to our chief chemist/cls.

That sort of fits in with the point I was making above that for 5wXX oils, a Group II or Group II+ is needed in order to meet the GF-3 specs. (Unless it's a syn blend, in which case Group I and Group IV can easily meet the specs if enough Group IV is added.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back