It's time I asked: who exactly is "Bob"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and how did he come to be "The Oil Guy"?

I've looked around on this forum looking for answers but haven't found any. Can't search for "Bob" (search won't work with only 3 letters) and looked in the FAQ.

Was there a real Bob? Does he really exist, or is it some kind of saying like "Bob's your uncle"? Just wondering about the origin of this site's name. Apologies in advance if this has been posted before or somewhere else and I just didn't find it.

Thanks.

There was a "Hi Bob" drinking game. Thats the Bob you want.
Bob-Newhart.png

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks like in the beginning, this member was the original site owner.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/users/7

Nope. Bio-T (Tony) was the second owner. He bought the site from Bob when Bob fell ill. Then when Tony passed away, Tony's wife Helen took over, and she is the current owner.

Got ya ... I just saw it said sit owner in his profile, but he obviously updated that well after he registered.

The 'BOB' in Bob is the oil guy is Bob Winters. He was/is a Schaeffer's oil representative from down in Florida.

When I came here and became Member #1095 Bob still ran this website. I was very impressed with Bob. He was a talented guy who would set up elaborate tests to check out various supplements. He was a Schaeffer's Oil guy but he did not try to force Scaeffer's Oil products on anybody.

Bob shared some PMs with me and I am not going to talk about what he and I talked about. But the PMs he shared with me convinced me even more that Bob was the real deal. He was very genuine. He was straight forward. There have been some guys here who impressed me when I first came here but later disappointed me. Bob never disappointed me. He was always Bob is the oil guy.

And I am going to stress that because there was a jerk here who was banned for life and kept coming back with different user names. And that guy thought of himself as some kind of oil expert, some sort of oil guru. That guy would come here and find out about motor oil and then at another website he tried to make people think of him as some kind of great oil expert, when he was getting his information at this website. He even started calling himself the oil guy. But he was never the oil guy. Bob was.

Bob was the oil guy. I miss him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FowVay
Was Terry Dyson the no.1 member?

I believe the #1 member was simply a test entry that Bob put in before he registered his own username as number 2. I am number 6
smile.gif
I've been around since before this version of the forum existed, it used to be in a newsgroup type of a forum on Bob's original website before he went to the UBB forum.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Wow Pat and Quattro, you have been around forever...as for the troublemaker, are we speaking about Mor.....nd?

Don't Say it!
just leave it as he-who-cannot-be-named

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: FowVay
Was Terry Dyson the no.1 member?

I believe the #1 member was simply a test entry that Bob put in before he registered his own username as number 2. I am number 6
smile.gif
I've been around since before this version of the forum existed, it used to be in a newsgroup type of a forum on Bob's original website before he went to the UBB forum.

Wow! That makes me a Newbie at #57.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Great info , I always sort of thought "Bob" was just a made up name .

He was a real guy!

Very personable and unassuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back