It's still English

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday local paper had a story that a bloke was due to face court, after being "caught by Police urinating in public".

the coppers had their flies down ey!

know a driller who lost a bit of time when he had to face court for the same... he was inebriated at the time

So who got caught with their modifier dangling???
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Tuesday local paper had a story that a bloke was due to face court, after being "caught by Police urinating in public".

I'm impressed that your coppers can multi-task, but what was the charge against the bloke?

Stockholm has open public urinals. But I suppose you have to be accurate or you can be charged for discharging outside the designated area.

Take a storm water sample every time that it rains. The storm water sample jars just sat there for 15 years and not once did any of them produce rain. I saw no reason to disturb them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
"caught by Police urinating in public".

The cops, while urinating, really need to stop chasing crooks. Finish your business first, you wet ends!
grin2.gif

A Pakistani immigrant remarked about his studies of English as a language (as opposed to "learning American")..and how it translated poorly.

"Throw the cow ... some grass" gave curious visions of throwing a cow ..and observing some grass.

Grammar aside, I is/was legal in the U.K. to urinate in public, providing you Pee on the left rear wheel of your car.
I believe this law dates back to the time of horse and carriages.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
A Pakistani immigrant remarked about his studies of English as a language (as opposed to "learning American")..and how it translated poorly.

"Throw the cow ... some grass" gave curious visions of throwing a cow ..and observing some grass.

Why would you compare idiomatic expressions to poorly constructed sentences? One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Why would you compare idiomatic expressions to poorly constructed sentences? One thing has nothing to do with the other.

(visions of Prince's Bride where there was an exchange of "I am not left handed")

Who said that I couldn't? Who cares if they have nothing to do with each other? They're oddities in communication where one can EASILY read the intent ..while objecting to the rhyme and meter as some anal retentive hair splitters can from time to time ...or in eternal obsession
48.gif

The sister in law's latest drop kick is in jail awaiting trial today.He's been charged with indecent assault after kissing one of his customers.Unfortunately he has a prior indecency conviction to make things worse - as a younger drunk he was caught taking a leak in a newspaper honesty box.Instead of charging him with urinating in a public place,they charged him with indecent exposure....now it's come to bite him on the arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back