It's started...

Well, expenses have started. I got a rumble from the rear. Last time I checked the brakes I felt a notchiness when I turned the right rear brake disc, but I didn't hear anything while driving so left it. Well, in 2 months it's become a deafening drone. Time for a wheel bearing. Turn left with some speed and the noise is gone, turn right and it gets even louder. Brake and the sound gets more quiet the harder I brake.

thumb

A complete bearing, flange, ABS ring, nut and cap for 28 euro.

Also ordered an engine mount, feeling a vibration and I see brown liquid under the existing mount. The hydraulic mount isn't hydraulic anymore... another 94 euro

First time spending money in 8 years, 95k miles though.

Well, expenses have started. I got a rumble from the rear. Last time I checked the brakes I felt a notchiness when I turned the right rear brake disc, but I didn't hear anything while driving so left it. Well, in 2 months it's become a deafening drone. Time for a wheel bearing. Turn left with some speed and the noise is gone, turn right and it gets even louder. Brake and the sound gets more quiet the harder I brake.

thumb

Also ordered an engine mount, feeling a vibration and I see brown liquid under the existing mount. The hydraulic mount isn't hydraulic anymore... another 94 euro

About 15 years ago my son and I were checking his rear wheel hub bearings for a noise he had heard while driving. Turned the left rear hub and sure enough, same as yours, GRITTY. We changed it right then and there.
I imagine it wouldn't be too pretty if they freeze up and/or grenade while driving.

yeah...it's a shame they can't make parts that last forever anymore.... :giggle:
a couple years ago...(2016/17/18 some where in there..)
we had to get the front wheel bearings replaced on my friends mom's 2004 Aztek... the car had a mere 193k miles on it!
and the A/C still blew ice cold. it eats batteries if it sits connected, b/c of an old remote start that no one has fobs for any more... but it's still going strong, used for her Runabout the few weeks /year she's back here (Moved to AK in 2012)

thumb

Is this on your Alfa? You're doing quite well apparently nothing in 95k is pretty impressive.

Replaced the wheel bearing today.

Met an ex collegue who has a 2 post lift and he was adamant I'd come over to his place to change the bearing, so we compared shedules and today we could finally do it.

Put the car on the lift, removed the wheel (wheel bolts were done up to spec of course), removed the cap over the hub nut, removed the hex bolt holding the rear disc on. removed the rear caliper from the pad bracket, removed the pads and removed the braket. Gave the disc a pull to remove it and it came off with the bearing, all in one piece.

I was expecting that the inner race would be stuck on the axle stub but it wasn't. So no need for grinder or chisel or pullers of any kind.

No signs of spinning the bearing, no rust anywhere so put a bit of anti seize, slid the new bearing on, torqued the hub nut and replaced the brakes, hub nut cap and wheel. 10 minute job once the car was on the lift.

we had a few cups of coffee talked about the good and not so good old days, then took the car for a test-drive. All quiet, ABS not complaining, no pulling... All good.

The easiest wheel bearing change in my life.

A cartridge bearing typically isn't a really precise fit on the spindle like a cone bearing. The inner race can't spin as the high torque of the nut holds all the inner parts in place.

A cartridge bearing typically isn't a really precise fit on the spindle like a cone bearing. The inner race can't spin as the high torque of the nut holds all the inner parts in place.

yes, but still, the inner race so far has always been stuck on requiring heat or grinding to get off.

I forgot to mention the reason the bearing came off with the disc is the nylon centre bore adapter for the aftermarket wheels. Nothing whatsoever was rustifused together.

Back