It's not your fathers oil comments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Molakule's article in the White Paper sections is very interesting and I would like to start a comment sections around it. I will start off if allowed...

Very interesting information....I really never could explain where/what synthetic oil was to friends and other folks. This enlightens me on the origen of base componets of synthetic oils. It surely is renewable and an interesting subject.

On the subject of Amsoil/Hatfield...AL or AJ had to buy a base oil from someone and formulate additives to blend his first synthetic oils...this question would be for oldtimers..."When Amsoil first came out in the early 70's.....did it smell like coconut?"

I disagree that bio or syns will replace mineral oils or to a great degree anyway, I think that will be GTL fluids.

GTL will have performance and lower prices than PAO and all the syns.

That is the key low cost, high performance and avalibility.

Chevron guys I know told me there first plant will use gas that is burned off now,so feed stock is like free.

bruce

Bruce what are GTL fluids?

So Chevron will use these GTL fluids as a base stock from gas burned off a refinery?

Any thoughts on AJ's first synthetics being from Hatco?

quote:

Originally posted by LargeCarMan:
Bruce what are GTL fluids?

Gas to Liquid

So Chevron will use these GTL fluids as a base stock from gas burned off a refinery?

Yes

Any thoughts on AJ's first synthetics being from Hatco?

hatco is the biggest/best so OK i guess.

****...so you missed the Sixties? could have been that glue and dope in the Forties.

I really meant did Amsoil of the early Seventies smell like coconut because it could have been a product of coconuts? Did you read that article?

I read the article. Two weeks ago I spent some time chatting with Lefty Ward, one of the two guys who helped Al concoct his formulations. Both were in Duluth/Superior for a dinner honoring Al. It was interesting hearing him recalling some of the early trials. At the time, Lefty worked for Hatco-later for AMSOIL (a couple of times).

Honestly, I don't ever recall sniffing a can to see if it smelled like coconut. I recall that it was diester, but best info we had then was that, while the esters could come from many sources, the least expensive was from petroleum base.

Most of the 60s, I was playing soldier (Europe the first year, Southeast Asia for 3 1/2 in the middle. Some figure I missed the 60s (except I got back in time for Super Bowl 1).

Hi LargeCarMan,

The first certified Amsoil oil (10W-40) introduced in 1972 was not based on coconut acid esters. It was based entirely on a diester, specifically Ditridecyl Adipate, and had no coconut odor.

The "coconut" esters refered to in the article also do not have a coconut odor. These esters are made from fatty acids derived from coconut oil, and neither the acids nor the ester smell like coconut. The acids have a strong pungent odor and the esters made from them are nearly odorless.

The standard polyol ester traditionally used in most motor oils is TMP C8C10, made by reacting Trimethylolpropane (alcohol) with a light distillation cut of coconut acids consisting of mostly C8 and C10 linear acids. This ester is very well balanced for motor oils, having high lubricity, low pour point (-65F), high flash point (490F), high Vi (140), and relatively low cost. There are better POEs for higher temperature applications like jet engines and some industrial machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back