Its Not Just Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I'm surprised it took this long to collapse. A few years ago, my wife wanted to invest in this or that and I told her to wait a while--for after the inevitible tumble. She said I was just being a pessimist. She thanked me the other day.
LOL.gif

Rob

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Thanks. I'm surprised it took this long to collapse. A few years ago, my wife wanted to invest in this or that and I told her to wait a while--for after the inevitible tumble. She said I was just being a pessimist. She thanked me the other day.
LOL.gif

Rob

You should buy a crystal ball and setup shop!
LOL.gif

I was the same as you... I changed my portfolio before the big drop to be very conservative because I knew something like this was coming and I didn't want to loose a ton of money so I moved all my high risk investments into low risk lower return investments... All my co-workers and friends are crying the blues while I'm coasting until the markets start to rebound!
grin2.gif

My 401K lost 34% in the last year, so I stopped my contribution and just move the same amount of money into a Money Market account every pay period. It's not a whopping interest rate, but at least it's not losing anything.

My sister's 401K lost $80K. That's enough to make you sick at your stomach.

Mine lost 30K. I was planning to retire @ 59 1/2, but i still have 10 years. FWIW my 401K was already in the most secure 2 plans available and it still lost big. I was going to use my 401K to finance my new Chevy Colorado back in August before the big crash, but my financial planner advised against it. Wish I hadn't listened to him because I lost the money anyway. Oh well, I just hope this recession hurts as few folks as possible.

Mine lost over $150k.......
crazy2.gif
but has regained about $65k since I moved some things around. Right now the wind energy sector is down but will get lots of investment soon. Good time to buy Nordex, Vestas, Gamesa.

Ouch, guys.
Well, I didn't lose squat because I have nothing and no hope of ever retiring...But I guess that stinks, too.

I cut back on 401k contribution and am putting the money into my mortgage as extra principal every month. That's a guaranteed return of whatever your interest rate is.

I put extra in my IRA, get more shares for your money now.

The darkest hour is just before dawn.

My TIAA-Cref retirement portfolio is very diversified and I adjust it about every 6 months. I have only lost about 15% the past 18 months (knock on wood, many times).

I thought the idea is that if you have at least 10 years until retirement, it was "best" to sit tight on stock investments (to a certain degree). I was told that at low values, you are accumulating more quantity of stocks and when the market rebounds, you will make out better.

Is this simplistic thinking wrong, assuming the market does bounce back, as historically it has?

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
My 401K lost 34% in the last year, so I stopped my contribution and just move the same amount of money into a Money Market account every pay period. It's not a whopping interest rate, but at least it's not losing anything.

Lol, buy high, sell low.

Originally Posted By: D189379

Lol, buy high, sell low.

I was going to say the same thing. I put in a bunch of cash I got as a gift in early march into some mutual funds, they went up 10-20% so far. I am sort of thinking of transferring them to a money market fund as I think the market is going to go down again but who knows... Probably I'll just leave them and pump in some money each month and go along for the ride... Retirement is 30ish years away! Sort of a good thing and depressing at the same time...

Originally Posted By: brianl703
I cut back on 401k contribution and am putting the money into my mortgage as extra principal every month. That's a guaranteed return of whatever your interest rate is.

That sounds like a great idea. Gotta adapt to the times.

I have increased my contributions(albeit only $1000/year) this year due to the drop. I am getting shares on "sale". Remember the rich get richer right now by buying stock and property at low prices during recession and waiting to sell during the high times. (buy low sell high)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back