It's nice having a car that doesn't consume oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3's get driven hard too. RL's and 80mph+.

I'm averaging 32-34mpg too driving 80+ mph.

My Jeep used next to no oil...4.0 six, over 200,000 miles...used less than half a PINT in 5000 miles. My Dak (Magnum 318, 177K) uses a quart in about 2000 miles.

My 1ZZ-FE Toyota engine in my '04 Vibe consumes basically no measurable oil between 7500 mile oil changes. Just turned 220k miles.

I have owned a few car brands of 25 years driving driving them to the 150k-240k mark.

Jeep>Toyota>VW>Honda>Subaru>Acura.

Not a single one consumed oil until about 6000 miles but I am a 5k oil changer since 25 years ago.

Bad luck or maybe good luck on my part.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe Mazda has better engineering than Honda ?

Haha, you made a funny.

(joking of course)

I think luck has more to do with it. I haven't owned any Mazdas, but I've owned four Hondas/Toyotas...a 1ZZ-FE, a 2AR-FE, a K24, and a J35. None consume any measurable oil.

Of the other brands I've owned (Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Nissan, Saturn, Dodge, Chrysler), only one of the Cadillacs consumed oil at a rate of about a quart every 3,000 miles or so. All others were free of measurable consumption.

Went from a fleet of saturn s-series do a dodge neon that uses .5 qt in 2000 miles. And that's on 0w20. I still have X-w40 "saturn oil" cases sitting around.

It's an odd sensation having one of the most ragged-upon econoboxes sitting there for months at a time without its hood being opened.

Thank goodness we come so far from needing a top up with oil every time we got gas. I remember buying an old Vauxhall car back in 1975 (in the UK), my third car, and being genuinely surprised it didn't need any oil added between oil changes.
Nowadays most cars don't need the hood lifted between scheduled maintenance, and consequently often a coolant or oil leak goes unnoticed until it's too late.
Part of the compulsory test needed to get a UK drivers licence is demonstrating to the examiner you can identify where to add oil, coolant, brake fluid and windshield washer. A shame checking tire pressures isn't part of the test as well.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I have owned a few car brands of 25 years driving driving them to the 150k-240k mark.

Jeep>Toyota>VW>Honda>Subaru>Acura.

Not a single one consumed oil until about 6000 miles but I am a 5k oil changer since 25 years ago.

Bad luck or maybe good luck on my part.

Over 45 years I've owned more than a dozen cars (US/Japanese/European) that all ran over 100k miles and every one used about 1/2 qt per 3-4k miles...I'd top off that half-qt and change the oil at 5-6k....I still do....well, these days I'll stretch it to 7 if it suits me.

Maybe this is because they were all sticks that rarely ran below 2k RPM...I tend to shift between 3 and 4k and like to cruise @ 2500 RPM...unlike ATs that shift @ 2k and cruise below THAT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
rjundi said:
Maybe this is because they were all sticks that rarely ran below 2k RPM...I tend to shift between 3 and 4k and like to cruise @ 2500 RPM...unlike ATs that shift @ 2k and cruise below THAT.

All my cars were sticks also except Acura. All are shifted 3k-4.5k except of course Jeep which had a torque peak at 2000RPMish (4.2L AMC).

I cant tell if either of my vehicles burn any oil. The dipstick looks at the same at the start and end of its index. I grandma drive my SUV and my wife runs the truck hard. I am lucky in this respect.

My parents enjoy having a vehicle again that doesn't burn massive amounts of oil. They still check it like twice a week ... but don't have to add any.

Neither of my vehicles consume* a measurable amount.

*Consume, not leak. The Cherokee leaks like a siev. Pan gasket, VC gasket, oil filter housing. Only thing that doesn't leak is the rear main seal. I have had to add a quart of makeup oil in a year. Want to say maybe 4500 miles.

My Sis's RSX-S burns about more oil than any car in our family. About 1.25qt every 4k.

My Sentra 2.5l, which is actually notorious for burning oil, doesn't burn a drop. KNOCK ON WOOD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Xeno
My Sentra 2.5l, which is actually notorious for burning oil, doesn't burn a drop. KNOCK ON WOOD

Ebay headers NOW, before its too late!! Seriously though, it would be a good idea and considered preventative maintenance/mod.
The precats built into the manifolds are responsible for wiping out the rings when they start to come apart. You should still be ok for smog with the main cat. I know Maxima guys pass smog this way in Cali.

Last edited:
My first car consumed a bit of oil! Around 1L every few months. It was really annoying, but I really love that car so I never sold it. Until it was in an accident with it and sold what remained fro it piece by piece ... :))))

My first Dakota burned oil from new, and more as time went on, including through a new Cat. I was never happy about it, especially as it got to be more than a quart between oil changes, but otherwise it was a good truck.

My second one burned oil as it approached 100K, until I got new heads (cracked between the intake/exhaust, a common 3.9L problem) and the new heads and revised aftermarket intake manifold gasket fixed the problem. Now I'm enjoying checking the oil because I want to, not because I have to!

my car leaks a quart every 400 miles or 6 weeks whichever comes first, i tried all types of additives i use hm oil but not sure if it helps
i carry top off oil with me at all times, i always miss out on those $1 a quart deals
im either a day late or a dollar short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back