its fall - dealing with leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nitrate fertilizer helps speed decomposition.If you have earthworms then they will eat them up. Lots of worms is better. Then if you see the hammer head flat work, kiss your worms good by. Never stomp one, each piece regrows. Carb cleaner seems to kill them.

They are an invasive pest, you will see fishing worm prices go way up as these spread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipalium

I collect the leaves in a yard vacuum pulled behind the tractor. I create station wagon sized grass/leaf piles. After two years, the compost is ready to use and is a foot deep.

I used to rake but now that i'm getting a bit older I just mulch , I get as close to tress ,shrubs as I can with the rider and call it good. Two and a half acres is just to much to rake now

I wouldn't be able to keep up with mulching. When the leaves are really falling I would have to do it nearly daily. I collect them with a bagger, put them along the street and the Township comes by and picks them up.

I leave them where they fall. Never raked leaves in my life and have no plans on doing so in the future. Whatever is left in the spring gets chewed up with the first grass cutting.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
With mulching, your also getting your 'last' lawn cutting.

I mulch the leaves in my yard.
I use my Toro Mulching Mower / 21" Personal Pace

If you have a Riding Mower, there may be a Mulching Kit you can buy.

To benefit more from the added nutrients, I will pick up (1) dozen bags of leaves that neighbors
leave at the curb, scatter them around my lawn and mulch them.

My neighbors rake their leaves to the curb and the Town will come by and vacuum them up / well, most of the time.
If not vacuumed up, they blow around or freeze into a clump over Winter / Spring time mess.

A riding mower has more vacuum power to lift and chop leaves.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have done various things with leaves over the years, from bagging while lawn mowing to blowing with a backpack blower to vacuum with a lawn vacuum in an effort to get rid of the leaves.

I am now mulching the leaves specifically to put the nutrients back into the soil, in a similar manner as mulching the grass. Seems a lot easier also.

Anyone else jumping on the trend to help the soil with leaves chopped up into tiny bits?

Depends on the amount of leaves you have. If doing this with a push mower, it makes no sense to mulch leaves that stand taller than the engine of the lawn mower.

We need more info from ya'..... Are you riding or pushing? Your post above says neither, so I stopped reading after you mentioned this.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I have done various things with leaves over the years, from bagging while lawn mowing to blowing with a backpack blower to vacuum with a lawn vacuum in an effort to get rid of the leaves.

I am now mulching the leaves specifically to put the nutrients back into the soil, in a similar manner as mulching the grass. Seems a lot easier also.

Anyone else jumping on the trend to help the soil with leaves chopped up into tiny bits?

Depends on the amount of leaves you have. If doing this with a push mower, it makes no sense to mulch leaves that stand taller than the engine of the lawn mower.

We need more info from ya'..... Are you riding or pushing? Your post above says neither, so I stopped reading after you mentioned this.

This. Our front yard has 5 trees (2x 70+ year old ash, 2x 50 year old maples, 1x 50 year old oak). We used to rake and burn, then they outlawed burning. Then I used to rake and bag, one year the total was 170+ garbage bags full of leaves and a lot of work. Then I tried mulching all of it - had a good inch or two of finely ground mulch on the entire lawn (after multiple passes) which basically choked out the grass (I was told that the heavy mulch competes with the grass for nitrogen and you have to really double up on the Fall fertilization). Now I bag maple leaves (because they don't mulch very well, and mulch the ash and oak and still end up with 50 bags or so). I've come to the belief that having lots of trees may be good for the environment, but a major PITA to take care of (especially when your neighbor has multiple trees close to your property).

Another thing about the mulching and mower. My Toro push mower (Super Recycler 2) does a pretty good job of mulching, but sometimes requires a second pass on heavy leaves). My Craftsman 42" lawn tractor with mulching "plug" is garbage for mulching leaves or grass.

I help the nutrients in the sky by burning them.

The clouds become a beautiful shade of light blue the day after burning leaves.

I wouldn't call it "mulching" because I don't have a mulching blade, but I do "shred" them with a regular blade.

The seasons here aren't kind; it'll freeze so the grass lays flat and the leaves frost down stuck to the grass.

Then it thaws, a 40 MPH wind comes out of the woods destroying any work I've done to clean up, then it snows and locks it all down.

But if I shred my leaves, they catch the wind and go away, or the grass manages to poke up between what's left.

It's an imperfect planet and I got a muddy couple acres of it.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back