It's a new week! 2011 Subaru Forester FB25 cam carrier resea

Status
Not open for further replies.
New week, new project for you guys! This one is a 2011 Subaru Forester with about 81k on it. Had an oil leak from the camshaft carrier area, and a leak from the timing cover. I tore everything down and cleaned to a shine. Everything is getting resealed while I'm in here, along with new valve lift screens and new timing chain tensioners for peace of mind. The guides look perfect, I will be reusing them.

I really do enjoy working on Subaru's, as long as they aren't rusty. The engine is out in about an hour, and you can take the entire thing apart with nothing more than a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm socket and a few wrenches. This is, however, the first FB25 I've had apart. Much more used to the EJ series motor, which in all honesty isn't much different.

*EDIT* I forgot to add: a rotating engine stand is a MUST for this job. When you remove the cam carriers, the camshafts are still held in the carrier by the camshaft caps. It's really a genius design, however if you don't have the engine vertical the rocker followers and hydraulic lash adjusters will fall out everywhere. Not good.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I guess I'm confused. For some reason I was thinking the '12 Forester was the first model year to get the FB25.

You aren't the first one I've heard say how much of a pleasure it is to work on Subaru engines.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I guess I'm confused. For some reason I was thinking the '12 Forester was the first model year to get the FB25.

You aren't the first one I've heard say how much of a pleasure it is to work on Subaru engines.

The FB is the engine with oil consumption issues that haunts the 11-14 model years.

OP, what's the bill on this job? 81k on a 7 year old car, and the motor is coming out, I would not be happy.

Well over $3k. I don't know exactly how much, it's mostly labor though. The parts are nothing more than a bunch of o-rings and a lot of liquid gasket maker.

An hour for engine out? That seems quick. I might have to revise my opinion of Subaru if that is true. I mean, I think it horrible to have to lift a F250+ cab off the chassis to do "routine" work, but I admire how much easier it is to do that engine work when the cab is out of the way. Make removal of an item fast and easy and then it's not so bad.

Originally Posted By: supton
An hour for engine out? That seems quick. I might have to revise my opinion of Subaru if that is true. I mean, I think it horrible to have to lift a F250+ cab off the chassis to do "routine" work, but I admire how much easier it is to do that engine work when the cab is out of the way. Make removal of an item fast and easy and then it's not so bad.

Well, an hour might be pushing it but 2 is doable with a lift. I know for a fact that I can have it out in an hour. I had to pull it out again this afternoon, I went to start it and it ran awful. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I'll dig in to it more tomorrow.

When I watch videos of people pulling engines and doing timing jobs on Subarus, they seem like they're having an easier time compared to extracting other non-boxer style engines.

Maybe because their engine bays are relatively clutter free (Subarus have some of the nicest, simple looking engine bays I've ever seen).

The engine itself is flatter due to the boxer design so I assume it would be easier to clear the rest of the car when pulling it up and out, compared to a big honking I4 of V6.

The transmission being behind toward the rear of the car can't hurt as well, one more thing out of the way, compared to a typical I4 where it's on the side and all of its wiring, solenoids, dipstick and linkages being right there or mixed in with the engine stuff.

I've pulled 3 EJ's out of personal vehicles to do head gaskets or a clutch and it's very quick. I don't have a lift and can have it out in a few hours. Really all you have to do is take off the intake, disconnect the wiring harness, drain coolant and remove the rad. Then Its just 2 motor mount bolts, the dog bone mount bolt and 8-10 transmission bolts. It lifts right out, super easy. The AC compressor etc can stay in the vehicle.

That's one thing about (older) Subaru's I love, they are easy to work on and pretty tough.

Last edited:
I've watched my brother have an EJ out and on a stand in his garage in under an hour. I don't have the skills to do it in that time frame.

14Accent, what was the verdict on the poor running thing after the repair?

A ~$3K repair bill is a tough pill to swallow, but on a 7yr/old vehicle, it can happen. People love Subarus.

IIRC, the FB25 was introduced in 2010 in the 2011 model year Forester that still had the 4EAT trans.

The other fun fact is their CVT was introduced in 2009, in the 2010 model year Legacy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

It's a Subaru. Presumably they have had lot of practice removing certain engines in them.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've watched my brother have an EJ out and on a stand in his garage in under an hour. I don't have the skills to do it in that time frame.

14Accent, what was the verdict on the poor running thing after the repair?

A ~$3K repair bill is a tough pill to swallow, but on a 7yr/old vehicle, it can happen. People love Subarus.

IIRC, the FB25 was introduced in 2010 in the 2011 model year Forester that still had the 4EAT trans.

The other fun fact is their CVT was introduced in 2009, in the 2010 model year Legacy.

Sorry I didn't get back to this post! Somehow, and I still don't know how, the exhaust valves on the #2 cylinder weren't sealing. I don't know why, I'm waiting to hear from the head shop. I pulled it all apart again yesterday, I should have the head back tomorrow for reassembly.

All fixed. The valves were fine, somehow a piece of carbon got lodged in the valve seat and hung up the valve.

I installed the new head today and resealed the entire thing for a 3rd time. Dropped the motor back in and she runs like a champ. Just have to recharge the AC and she's on the road.

I hope I don't have to pull another engine for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back