Item returns at Rock Auto

I recently was looking for shocks for my 3/4 ton suburban. According to my VIN, the dealer confirmed it came with “Heavy Duty” GM shocks. I did some shopping on Rock Auto and came across KYB Monomax shocks which according to the KYB site are their heavy duty truck shock. The bonus was that Rock Auto was clearing them out at 1/2 price. I generally know what happens with the clearance items. They usually come in a faded dusty box and sometimes there might be surprises. The shocks arrived, well packed but sure enough in faded boxes. I laid them out and realized one front shock had the wrong boot and upon further inspection had stripped threads. It’s as if someone had tried to install it and returned it. The others were in perfect shape. Perhaps all four were returns. I was not too happy because these were shipped to me in Canada and sending it back would cost more than the shock. I responded to Rock Autos automatic note and said they shipped me a damaged product and I would like a replacement. The next day I received a note that they are sending a new replacement shock and if I would be so kind to keep the bad shock for two weeks. I just received the new shock in 5 days and it is perfect. Here are some shots. The shock on the left had the wrong boot and the threads were damaged.The third last photo shows the grouping with the replacement shock, ready for installation. The last two two shots are of the buggered shock. Enjoy.

6D9BEEE7-6908-421B-8DF0-CA6782832435.jpeg99E64043-E316-4856-907D-6517133B2AAE.jpeg373D7797-88DE-4E4B-A2B1-35D9D135B543.jpegD8138A75-C964-44DE-942A-2BC2C02B85FB.jpeg

Attachments

• B4447BAC-6BAB-4ED4-869A-0E6D71709C07.jpeg
    B4447BAC-6BAB-4ED4-869A-0E6D71709C07.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2383592E-F984-4B7E-8BE3-0179C625A171.jpeg
    2383592E-F984-4B7E-8BE3-0179C625A171.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 92
  • F437250A-75BF-4860-96BE-BC9CFD0E0424.jpeg
    F437250A-75BF-4860-96BE-BC9CFD0E0424.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I, too got the "keep it for two weeks" treatment on a deformed nail from a brake hardware kit. They gave me options and I took my money back.

I think you'll like the Monomax. KYB quality has fallen in recent years, but their products above the "OEM replacement" level are still pretty solid.

Be happy you don't have the Autoride suspension. After trying a few "conversion" kits, I will no longer install anything but OEM GM shocks on Autoride equipped trucks. They are very expensive, but at least they work.

Make sure and report back with a review of the KYB's. You didn't mention age/mileage of the current shocks but assuming they're original you should notice a significant improvement in ride quality.

Looks like things worked out for you. I'm a big Rockauto fan but tend to avoid their closeout/open box items.

Reporting back on the KYB Monomax. They are fine. They are a heavy duty shock and give a lot of stability to the ride. They got rid of that “floating feel” the stock shocks developed over the 12 years. Perfect for a 3/4 ton.

What is the purpose for keeping the bad shock for two weeks? Not sure I understand that request, do you send it back after two weeks has elapsed?

I order RA closeout parts all the time. It's about all I use to keep my older cars in good shape. I don't recall ever having any major issues, I think I've had parts interchange problems (wrong part sent) a couple times, but RA refunded money and told me to keep the product each time.

Lately I've noticed the closeout prices are not near as good as they used to be. For example I was looking at valve cover gaskets for my '96 Maxima, and they had two sets on closeout, Felpro and Mahle. Either was right around $30, only a couple dollars shy of brand new parts. I've seen this in brakes (closeout pads going for > $25) and other categories as well recently. It used to be that closeout parts were dirt cheap, often $5 or less. I'm even finding closeout oil filters in the $6 range which used to be unheard of.

If that keeps up where the closeout parts are no longer a killer deal, I'll probably begin to shop more on Amazon or other online retailers, prices are often as good or better and you don't have the cumbersome shipping warehouses to deal with.

Rock auto has processed my requests for return via an automated system. There is no back and forth.

Its actually a pretty fair system.

I ordered two widgets thinking I might need them for a repair, but ended up actually needing one.

They take the return and deduct the price of the return shipping from the return credit.

Back