Itching to change my oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to run my truck out to 5000 miles this time. It has the 6.9 diesel with no turbo.I have turned the fuel up as much as I dare.

The recommended oci is 2500 miles or 5000 depending on driving conditions. I definitely fall in the severe driving conditions.lots of idling,dirt roads and short trips.

But I'm running delo 15w40 and an oversized proselect oil filter. Then I read where some guys have had valve guide problems with extended oci's.

I hate to throw out good oil. But I am over the recommended 2500 miles now. I'm @ 3100 now. Decisions....decisions

Last edited:
Since when is an "extended oci" 5K miles?

I've run 23K, supported by UOA. I wouldn't call anything "extended" unless you're going over 15K; and I wouldn't do that without UOA.

And the main filter to worry about is the AIR filter.

Last edited:
That is the same OCI that is on the wife's 7.3 Power smoke. If the engine is in good shape change tho oil if it is close to dying let the oil go. You could spend $30.00 and get a uoa, but that is half the cost more or less of an oil change.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

I've run 23K, supported by UOA. I wouldn't call anything "extended" unless you're going over 15K; and I wouldn't do that without UOA.

I have not done a uoa. But this nonturbo diesel loads the oil up with contaminants and unburned fuel quickly

i think a 6.9l diesel is a little harder on the oil than some 4 or 6 cyl car engine bud

Last edited:
Change it-- you know you want to.

There'll be a sale on diesel oil. Stash it.

I would completely agree, but the OEM intervals back then for those diesels were a bit, well, conservative, to say the least. My dad's first 7.3 Powerstroke had something like a 3,000 mile severe service interval with a sump around fifteen litres.

Actually, a soot loading diesel with a 10 quart sump is an ideal candidate for an oil cleaning centrifuge and/or a bypass filter set up.

There's a fellow on here running a Puradyn bypass filter with a Cummins turbo diesel and last posting had 8K on the oil; Blackstone told him to run 4-5K more and sample again:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3985514/Puradyn_MTS-24_Bypass_Filter_(#Post3985514

His wear rate is under 1.

I am not as liberal regarding term "extended". To me, anything over OEM recommended is considered extended. My Detroit Diesel Lube Manual goes so far to say that explicitly. They allow extended without voiding warranty, but demand UOA's and such confirm doable. With fuel being turned up, yeah, I would run a bypass filtration or centrifuge system to keep soot levels down. I use bypass on my commercial stuff.

The driving factor behind your factory recommendations was the quality of oil at the time. Oil has improved many times over since than. I've had conversations with an engineer from Chrysler's transmission dept and we talked about this very topic pertaining to transmissions. My 98 Dodge CTD with the 47RE severe service schedule is 15k miles. In comparison, my 13 RAM 3500 with Aisin severe service schedule is 60k miles. That's 4 times the miles mated to an engine with significantly higher torque, payload and tow ratings. He said I could easily double the interval on my 98 and possibly further with oil analysis using a certified ATF+4 oil, which I have done.

Same pertains to engine oil, although some engines are naturally harder on oil than others. I'm doing 15k intervals with my 98, which ironically is what is recommended with my 13. UOA says I can go further, but 15k is about a years worth of driving so I change it annually.

"Turn up the fuel"???

Is this like enrichening?

If so, is it like rolling coal?

If so, does it increase horsepower?

If so, then why......who needs a 3-4 ton diesel to leap off the line? Tractor pulls!

Chris,

I just traded off my '94 7.3 IDI and I changed the oil every 3K period and it has 170K on the motor and never opened up. I used Delo 400 15W-40 with no issues all year in northern Idaho. That's my suggestion with the 6.9 since the 7.3 is more or less the same motor. Bypass filter and maybe a synthetic would extend the intervals.

I have a 721d grasshopper mower with 2200 hrs. on it. Wanting to change fron usual oil to rotella t6.full synthetic. Do you think this would cause leakage.--rings--seals. Thoughts please.---polly

Change it, both of you
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: polly
I have a 721d grasshopper mower with 2200 hrs. on it. Wanting to change fron usual oil to rotella t6.full synthetic. Do you think this would cause leakage.--rings--seals. Thoughts please.---polly
What oil are you using now?

I don't get running super long oil intervals. I get the oil cheap, I change it myself, I get the filters cheap. It just seems sensible to go ahead and change it 3000-5000 miles. I think we got closet climate changers on here.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't get running super long oil intervals. I get the oil cheap, I change it myself, I get the filters cheap. It just seems sensible to go ahead and change it 3000-5000 miles. I think we got closet climate changers on here.

I don't know what you consider super long intervals but there are many factors involved when considering the OCI of older vehicles. Oil technology has evolved ten fold in the last 25+ years which is what the OP's factory recommended intervals are based on.

Aside from that, factory recommended intervals are just that. They are not written in stone and 9.9 times out of 10 you can safely go longer.

One thing is for sure, 3k oil changes are a thing of the past. ESPECIALLY for the vehicles in your signature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back