It Makes Sense that Start-Stop Engines Need a Higher Grade Oil

...After all, we have found that the oils do not get fully warmed up especially for trips to the grocery store. Fuel in the oil will not get burned off.

Oil will get more fuel dilution as starting up engines will use extra fuel.

Fuel dilution and loss of grade would likely be more common. To maintain a safe grade for that particular engine one would need to start with a thicker one.

Dilution not only results in loss of viscosity but also the loss of the concentration of the additives in the oil.

Aside from all the other detrimental effects I feel these mandates are harmful to the engine and the environment overall.

ali

Thought it was supposed to save fuel.

Thought it was supposed to save fuel.

I believe a lot of engines stop with a cylinder in compression, all the engine has to do then is fire that cylinder to restart.

My old BMW 520d had a 48v starter/generator and starting the engine even when cold was fast and instant.

I'm sure I seen a calculation somewhere that if an engine is going to idle for more than 3s then it's worth turning it off.

AFAIK, no one or no aftermarket kit mfr has figured out how disable the ‘22 JGC permanently, yet. Will purchase one when available. Until then, I’ll just push the disable button.
I'd be doing the same thing, like clockwork until someone figured it out.

Take that rule and look no further: most endeavors that are concerned with emissions reduction, degrades engine oil, and by extention, engine life. CAFE on one end, engine life on the other end.
Stop n' go detrimental effects is mitigated by FM additives to a safe, controlled levels. Fuel dilution is another factor and a higher viscosity is the right thing to go with.

I wonder if those with stop/start are able to get more than 2-3yrs from their big expensive batteries?
My Sonata has an big expensive AGM battery and doesn’t have Stop/Start. The OE battery still only lasted 3.5 years. New cars have so many computer modules requiring juice that battery life is a crap shoot now.

There is a video of by "engineering explained" on youtube which goes through how they test Mobil1 oils, and its basically a v8 engine adjusted so that there is much more blow by occuring vs anything in the real world. With reasonable OCI per the manual, I think this has been figured out by now.

I wonder if those with stop/start are able to get more than 2-3yrs from their big expensive batteries?
LOL - FCA ESS (auxiliary) batteries are glorified motorcycle batteries (there is a main and an auxiliary). I did manage to get about 2.5 years out of the auxiliary and replaced both at the same time with AGM batteries.

The 48V start/stop system in my Ram will often allow start/stop events after only a few blocks of driving. At this point, oil temp is often still below 100F.

My Prius has experienced many start/stop events after 230,000 miles. My UOA's have not shown any significant amounts of fuel dilution.

The 48V start/stop system in my Ram will often allow start/stop events after only a few blocks of driving. At this point, oil temp is often still below 100F.
The RAM system is a bit different that a traditional start/stop system (like the one in my 2019 Wrangler), whereas the RAM version is a hybrid type with a 48 volt motor generator that provides about 90 lb-ft of torque to the crankshaft which is why those systems are so smooth from a stop versus the traditional ESS where the engine has to start before the vehicle will move. Later models (either 2020 or 2021) Wranglers have the 48v system on some engine options.

The traditional system on my Wrangler has a laundry list of conditions that have to be met (or not exist) before ESS will engage. One of the easiest ways to know the auxiliary battery is failing on a Wrangler is the start/stop system stops working.

The RAM system is a bit different that a traditional start/stop system (like the one in my 2019 Wrangler), whereas the RAM version is a hybrid type with a 48 volt motor generator that provides about 90 lb-ft of torque to the crankshaft which is why those systems are so smooth from a stop versus the traditional ESS where the engine has to start before the vehicle will move. Later models (either 2020 or 2021) Wranglers have the 48v system on some engine options.

The traditional system on my Wrangler has a laundry list of conditions that have to be met (or not exist) before ESS will engage. One of the easiest ways to know the auxiliary battery is failing on a Wrangler is the start/stop system stops working.
Have you changed batteries yet ? heard it’s not much fun and won’t want to do it in a parking lot …

Never had a car with stop start but if i did i would disable it for sure, i borrowed my cousin's car once and hated it.

That being said i've never had a car with AC either, or ABS, or an Automatic and only one with power steering 😃

Have you changed batteries yet ? heard it’s not much fun and won’t want to do it in a parking lot …
I have. I went with AAP AGM batteries. The easiest way is to pull the passenger fender and do it from the bottom. There are some clips that will typically break that you need to have on hand (https://www.ebay.com/itm/394011612891), you have to fold back part of the inner fender liner, and there are two bolts in the battery holder that once removed, it will drop right down.

Though you will see advice to do it, I would not go through the main PDU on top--simply asking for issues. Also, change both of them at the same time as by the time the auxiliary fails, it will have put enough strain on the main battery to bring it down too.

Last but not least, make sure you disconnect all of the grounds before beginning. The auxiliary and main batteries have separate ground wires that are connected and just disconnecting one of them does not break the circuit.

PS...no need to pull the tire either. I was able to change mine with the tire in place (just turn it to the left to get more clearance.

Let me know if you have any questions--happy to help.

Back