It just doesn't matter (Sometimes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
With a few exceptions (VCM Pilots for instance) if you use an oil that meets the manufacturers standards, change it according to manufacturers schedule and make sure it actually has some oil in it ... it’ll be totally fine from an oil related standpoint.

In other words: It just don’t matter.

Pretty much, none of this stuff matters in spite of all the BITOG hand wringing and nail biting.

That's pretty much the truth on most vehicles...

And along those same themes, this just happened with the wife's car. Still runs strong, although in typical F23A1 fashion it burns about a quart every 2k, but the garage floor is spotless. She routinely gets 4-425 out of a tank of cheap 87 octane.

I take care of the mechanical, I wish I could say the same about her taking care of the outside and interior. Cars to her are just a tool to be abused.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctechbob

I had the covers off to do the first valve adjustment the car has seen. All the exhausts were tight and all the intakes were loose as you'd expect, but there was still a bit of play on the exhausts (the ones you'd worry about) so they still probably weren't in danger of doing something they shouldn't have.

Good job on taking care of the engine. I believe the V6 in the Accord is the same as the V6 in my Odyssey. It's nice to see these Honda V6's to go the distance.

Did you end up have to adjust any valves or they all stay within the tolerance?

Originally Posted By: newbe46

At least that engine is easy to adjust the valve clearance. Turn screws with lock nuts. Can't get more simple than that.

Originally Posted By: newbe46
Originally Posted By: ctechbob

I had the covers off to do the first valve adjustment the car has seen. All the exhausts were tight and all the intakes were loose as you'd expect, but there was still a bit of play on the exhausts (the ones you'd worry about) so they still probably weren't in danger of doing something they shouldn't have.

Good job on taking care of the engine. I believe the V6 in the Accord is the same as the V6 in my Odyssey. It's nice to see these Honda V6's to go the distance.

Ended up having to adjust maybe 80% of them. I could have let the intakes stay loose, but as I recall all of the exhausts were tight. Not 'this valve is going to burn' tight, but definitely on the very low end of spec. I don't remember exactly, but I'd say I tightened up maybe 6 out of 12 intakes and loosened 10 of 12 exhausts.

My opinion is that with a decently maintained J-Series you could very well go the life of the car and it would survive. Might not be optimal, but I don't think you'd burn an exhaust except in the rare occasion that it was maybe tight from the factory.

Last edited:
Obligatory down hole pic of the 300,000 mile F23A1 in the wife's car. Its coming up on a timing belt, I might get around to doing that this year, although it really is time for her to get something else, probably a CRV since she feels the need to tote the entire house to the kids softball tournaments, but still needs to get 25-30mpg since she drives constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back