It has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'll buy some when I can find when it hit $12/5-quart jug, which it probably won't.

When I can find dino Formula Shell for $1.58/qt at Menards, or even Citgo dino for $.79/qt at Rural King, I have little regard for synthetic that's almost $7/qt retail.

My 5k mile OCI pattern does not justify spendy oil ... and my UOA reports confirm it.

Where is this "rural king" at with $.79 oil?

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
I just got back from Wally in Huntington Beach CA and Edge is $26.50.

BTW Castrol claims 8x better than Mobil 1 but just "better" than Mobil EP becuase it has more certifications.

I think the dipstick jimmy adds are fantastic; it's just the oil itself is too expensive.
AALLLLL ritey-then.
smirk2.gif
Dude,you cant be serious,you actually like those commercials??

I chase my girlfriend around the house saying in a Scottish accent "Now I'm gonna think with my dipstick!"

She thinks its funny.

It makes me think of Edge when I'm at Wally World.

So, effective commercial.

I was at my friendly neighborhood Chinamart earlier today and they have Edge at $26.50. I thought it was interesting that they had a couple endcaps featuring various incarnations of Mobil 1 for $22. I still like the Synpower for $21, and the PP for $20 for the 5 qt jug.

Castrol keeps trying to come up with more variations on oil themes, and they all fall flat in the US. A special version of conventional oil with "better start-up protection" (GTX-startup) and now a better than our regular Syntec synthetic.

The market has pretty much settled on four categories of PCMOs:

Conventional, Synthetic, "High Mileage" and Synthetic Blend.

A Premium Synthetic is a marketing oxymoron. A maker's synthetic oil is supposed to be their premium product. If "Edge" is better than "Syntec", Castrol should have simply improved Syntec and advertised the new Syntec Edge.

How much are these marketing people paid to come up with this nonsense? Did the people behind GTX Start-Up get fired?

Commercials were a joke and the oil was prices too high.

I still have about 1,000 miles to go on my 10,000 mile Edge oil test. Then off to Blackstone and then I will post it here.

I will say my car is running smoothly and my gas mileage has crept up a tad.

Some how I thought the product would flop. Stupid ads, and high prices. How could it succeed? The average car owner who uses synthetic oil, is grabbing a lower priced synthetic, thinking with his wallet not his dipstick. JMO

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
I'll bet if Castrol had a serious advertising campaign Edge would have done much better. Nobody wants to buy oil from a leprechaun.

Leprechauns are Irish, I thought the Castrol dude (I've never seen the commercials) was Scottish?

I'm hoping the price will drop to 15-20 bucks for the wally jug, as this might not be bad for the beater...

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
I'll bet if Castrol had a serious advertising campaign Edge would have done much better. Nobody wants to buy oil from a leprechaun.

Precisely.

M1 rules in marketing - they've got the soccer mom, they've got the grueling edurance test, etc. M1 puts across a mental picture of excellence.

Originally Posted By: KW
Humm... I might have to make a run to the store later this week.

I was just a wally world 1 hour ago and the Edge is back up to $26 in my area (N. Cali). It was @ $20 a few weeks ago. I guess they can't make up their mind.

Finally stopped at Wal-Mart tonight, the store had none left and no tags on the shelf ever admitting that they had any.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Leprechauns are Irish, I thought the Castrol dude (I've never seen the commercials) was Scottish?

Yes, thank you. Having a Scottish ancestry, my dad would love to kick the living "you know what" out of that Castrol jack@ss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back