It happened again! Why I DESPISE Mobil 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned my '14 Passat TDi since March, we've put approximately 11,000miles on it since (purchased with 43,000 on the clock) immediately changed the oil to T6 5W40 because the dealer sticker in the window said 0W20! For my own piece of mind I changed it and took it 5,000miles on the T6. (yea yea I know it isn't 507 approved but its **** good oil)

Anyway, against everything I stand for I picked up some M1 ESP 5W30 at NAPA for it on sale since this was the ONLY 507 approved oil I could find anywhere locally to me. The recommended OCI for this car is 10k miles on this approved oil. I'm now at 5,000miles and I'm noticing a much louder engine when driving especially when its not fully warmed up. It is so bad the oblivious wife even asked me what the heck was going on!

I'm DONE with anything M1!!! There is no way in he!! anyone is going to convince me that audible noise every time you run a certain brand of oil is OK!
This car has 53,000 miles on it and sounds as loud as my '05 Ford 6.0 PSD! It literally went from whisper quiet (really hard to tell it was a diesel) to obnoxious.

Never again, rant over!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree!
Every time I had used M1 5W30 it caused audible sounds in my engine(s). I mean, I haven't used it in some time but, I an not going to either.
M1 isn't the only oil to do so. Havoline ProDS has given me this noise(s) lately so, I stopped using it too when in fact, I has used if for many years.

All you've ranted about is this topic, then you use the oil again and now have a new rant.

Please stick to your promise and make it so.
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment! All of you guys were so convincing in telling me how wonderful the new ESP oils were, so being the kind of guy I am I had to try it for myself. I really wanted to believe something changed but proved myself once again. No worries, I'm over it and won't ever try that garbage again even if it is free.

This is the 5th different vehicle I've tried M1 in over the years and experienced some form of issue be it anecdotal or audible every time.

I agree!
Every time I had used M1 5W30 it caused audible sounds in my engine(s). I mean, I haven't used it in some time but, I an not going to either.
M1 isn't the only oil to do so. Havoline ProDS has given me this noise(s) lately so, I stopped using it too when in fact, I has used if for many years.
not one time here and not one attempt by anyone here to explain how a decal on a bottle does this

Scored M1 at WM a few months back. Been using PP in my 19 Sorento without burning any oil. Used M1 from my stash and lost 1.5 qrts between oil changes. Switched to PP and no oil loss. Back to M1 and again, another 1.5 oil loss between 5 miles. Back to PP and no oil loss. M1 is ok, I guess, but overpriced and doesn't do anything else another full synth does at 1/2 the price.

I laughed at “whisper quiet” ‘14 VW diesel. This aging cars are not only not quiet at all, they also stink when running. I hate being around my brothers ‘14 Touareg TDI. Now to ESP, i don’t care if VW recommends 10k OCI, based on VOA I’ve seen I wouldn’t go over 5-7k on it

I agree!
Watch out char- these guys team up like the dems against you when you dislike their beloved M1!! They will shun you and go to all sorts of supposed trouble to prove you wrong! :) :)

Thanks for standing up and stating your experience!

I laughed at “whisper quiet” ‘14 VW diesel. This aging cars are not only not quiet at all, they also stink when running. I hate being around my brothers ‘14 Touareg TDI. Now to ESP, i don’t care if VW recommends 10k OCI, based on VOA I’ve seen I wouldn’t go over 5-7k on it
Not sure what your brother has going on but this Passat is super clean and quiet. You literally cannot tell it is a diesel. NO exhaust smell due to the DPF and SCR with DEF injection. With good oil, the engine is literally as quiet as a gasoline engine but makes TONS more torque.

Not sure what thats supposed to mean unless you dispute facts. ;)

I knew this post would get you M1 nuthuggers all upset, it usually does, you guys are like some cult or something... fortunately I'm not drinking that Mobil 1 Kool Aid!

lol, that's very funny! Not that I agree but it made me laugh :)

So, you claim Mobil 1 causes your engine to make “more noise”.

You swear you’ll never use it again. You post that here.

Then you use it again. You post that here.

You repeat the above process, what, five times now?

But it’s everyone else who is crazy?

Really?

Since your anger has included offensive epithets for those with whom you disagree, it’s lock time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back