It "came that way" from the factory... Q.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some makers like Mits (Mirage) sell cars from factory with unpainted areas that don't show normally in 2015 like this. I cannot folks on this board would even consider this:

155163_La_Mitsubishi_Mirage_pasee_au_peigne_fin.jpg

A little blemish in paint pales in comparison to looking at this rolling heap, a red car with a little overspray into hood area and an unpainted firewall.

^^^^ That looks like total junk! It's one thing to leave a surface unpainted but the overspray is not acceptable at any price point of a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why not? I'm dead serious: why not?

Wouldn't bother me--not at Mirage price point. On something much more expensive, perhaps.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why not? I'm dead serious: why not?

I don't see why not either. My in laws old Toyota Echo was the same, but minus the visible overspray. The engine bay only had the base coat and that's it, I'm sure the rest of the non visible panels were the same. That's the kind of compromises one will find in the cheapest models.

You don't see that level of shodiness in a Chevy Cruz or even the old Cavalier or Colbalt models. I understand no paint or thin paint but NOT overspray. But then again, it's on a Japanese car and many of you here will support that as ok.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You don't see that level of shodiness in a Chevy Cruz

The Cruze is like a Mercedes! I mean, GM doesn't normally have body gap issues, but the Cruze has doors that close soooo smoothly. The trunk lid lines up so well from the factory that when one is in a rear end accident, I can tell exactly how much damage is on the tail panel by taking a quick glance at the quarter/trunk gaps.

Now I'm a Ford man, but try this: the next time you're behind a current-gen Escape, look at the right taillamp and right backup lamp (on the liftgate). They're touching. In extreme cases, the lamps will break from hitting each other. On high-end models with power gates, you can't align the gate properly or the actuator will bind and the gate will be stuck closed.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
First off let me say that this is not a complaint post, life is too short. In that vein, I'm not looking for answers or comments of " you should have got a Mercedes"...not my point.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
Maybe you should've bought a couple of Lexus cars instead.
[...]
Alternately build a bridge and get a grip on life, then start putting your hand a lot deeper into your pocket and buy a luxury brand car next time.

Ducman- great job completely missing the OP's point.

So what was his point exactly?

I deliberately put that comment in as the first sentence for a very good reason.
I put it to you, you ought to go through my responses on the matter and see if you can get some insight into my view point.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
So what was his point exactly?

I deliberately put that comment in as the first sentence for a very good reason. I put it to you, you ought to go through my responses on the matter and see if you can get some insight into my view point.

I put it to you, you ought to again go through the OP's post on the matter and see if you can get some insight into his view point. Hint: I'm pretty sure the OP is clear on the fact that manufacturers are not perfect and build to a price point.

It looks like you've missed the point of my point.

I will spell it out for you.
In summary I have indulged his desire to throw it open for a dialogue on the matter and exchange of ideas(note his closing comments).
I firmly believe I have complied with the intention of the original post.

Perhaps I could've added a couple of icons to help convey my message more clearly, but I don't know how on this forum.
Other wise I would've added a smiley at the end of my first sentence as it was meant in jest.

Again, I put it to you to review my earlier responses to the OP's question.
Further, I have no intention of extending on this communication with your good self.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
You don't see that level of shodiness in a Chevy Cruz or even the old Cavalier or Colbalt models. I understand no paint or thin paint but NOT overspray. But then again, it's on a Japanese car and many of you here will support that as ok.

Mits. Is not representative of Japan automakers. They are third tier sort of like Suzuki and Isuzu were and out of us market.

This car is niche in terms of price point below everyone by a long shot and get incredible mpg figures with its odd sounding 3 cylinder.

I bought a new Suzuki in the 90's for one of the kids, and, best as I recall, the engine compartment was nicely finished out.

OTOH, I can't recall having an airplane that ever had anything more than anti corrosion as the finish in the engine cowl. No overspray, though.

I'm okay with it either way, less the overspray.

They're all built to price points.
Back in the 50s and 60s you couldn't get a vehicle as cheap as a Mirage, brand new. Now we have vehicles spanning from $9995 - $120k, without going into exotics. There are way more options now. You want something with straight body gaps, no viewable screws or overspray - you're gonna spend more.

What was the question again? Do I have to spend more to get more?
Yes
33.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
They're all built to price points.
Back in the 50s and 60s you couldn't get a vehicle as cheap as a Mirage, brand new. Now we have vehicles spanning from $9995 - $120k, without going into exotics. There are way more options now. You want something with straight body gaps, no viewable screws or overspray - you're gonna spend more.

Yes
33.gif

Fact is that you go back to the mid-80s until the mid-90s and you could get near old school Mercedes and Lexus quality in MANY Toyota, Honda, and BMW products and a couple of other brands, at VERY main stream price points, even on low level models like Civic and Corolla . I know, I was there.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Fact is that you go back to the mid-80s until the mid-90s and you could get near old school Mercedes and Lexus quality in MANY Toyota, Honda, and BMW products and a couple of other brands, at VERY main stream price points, even on low level models like Civic and Corolla . I know, I was there.

The paint on my Japan-produced 1989 Mazda 323 was just amazing. And it had chrome trim around the windows. Zany, in hindsight.

This was before paint and chroming were hobbled by environmental issues.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
There are way more options now. You want something with straight body gaps, no viewable screws or overspray - you're gonna spend more.

Yes
33.gif

That's it in a nutshell.

In many facets of our daily lives and every day I wake up and start to have a good look around, I find myself shaking my head at how much difference there is in quality from the bottom to the top. The price points do not necessarily coincide.

We are currently in an era where there are clearly demonstrable examples all around us of the principal of diminishing returns.
The amount one has to pay to get better quality/more is growing exponentially.

Yet the overall quality at the bottom end of the spectrum(with regard to cars) is amazingly good.

As a side issue.
Interestingly, unless one has something very very special sitting in the garage. There's no resale value to speak of in a short period of time with just about everything.

This era of rapidly redundant technology has brought with it a focus on a throwaway mentality.
Respectable residual values are a thing of the past.

Last edited:
However there IS a sizable market that the automakers refuse to acknowledge. That of a very good quality durable car that is basic but built to a very high standard. (Think the models I mentioned from the mid 80s - mid 90s) I'm certain that the number of buyers of vehicles in general are NOT nearly as interested in the techno gadgetry as they and the media would have you believe. They ARE very interested in the durability and longevity of the vehicle they buy.

So with mfgrs using focus groups all over the world and intense market research of all kinds, scrabbling for a dollar, you expect us to believe that there is some mass market opportunity they missed?

I certainly don't believe it. Brands like Hyundai built their empire on super fully equipped cars that were extraordinarily cheap to buy. They ignored driving dynamics until recently as they now search for higher end business.

Consumers drive the market. A car maker would sell their mom if they could make a buck at it...

^^This.

Everybody has some form of "if the automakers would just do this or that" they would make a killing. Well - they know exactly what to build for profit and most of our wants/needs are not what the population as a whole desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back