Israel at War - major intelligence failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, many dead, hundreds in hospitals. Thousands of rockets fired on them. Major border security areas penetrated, tanks seized.
It's hard to believe that their intelligence community completely missed one of the most unprecedented attacks in its history.
This story was out early, death toll has increased. But many photos and video.

Wow, many dead, hundreds in hospitals. Thousands of rockets fired on them. Major border security areas penetrated, tanks seized.
It's hard to believe that their intelligence community completely missed one of the most unprecedented attacks in its history.
This story was out early, death toll has increased. But many photos and video.
This is pretty much 50 years to the day after the Yom Kippur war of October 1973.

From the WSJ:
Here's what you need to know:

Militant group Hamas launched a sustained barrage of more than 5,000 rockets in a coordinated attack by land, sea and air.

Israel's emergency services said 40 people have been killed in the surprise attacks from Gaza and hundreds more injured.

Gunmen crossed from Gaza into Israel's south, the Israeli military said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country was now "at war" and that he had convened the heads of the security forces and instructed them to first clear all Israeli villages of Palestinian militants who had entered from Gaza.

Israel Defense Forces said they were carrying out strikes on Hamas targets in Gaza in response to the attacks on Israel.

Air-raid sirens sounded in Jerusalem, while explosions were heard in Tel Aviv.

You can read our main story here and follow live updates below as news develops.

We’ll probably get locked on this. It’s superloaded with politics, but thanks for the post. This is probably going to result in a major military operation against Hamas. Didn’t a US President get a Nobel Peace Prize for fixing the issue? Maybe he should give it back.

Given Hamas’ associations with Iran, I wonder if this has anything to do with recent talks of normalizing relations between Saudi Arabia and Israel. This seems to me like Iranian-influenced regional power play to disrupt its two sworn enemies from getting closer.
Want to stop Iran from directly/ indirectly funding terrorist and their activities. Collapse oil prices long term. Take away Iran's oil income and their regime will be out of power in no time and the end of terror on millions of innocent people.

We’ll probably get locked on this. It’s superloaded with politics, but thanks for the post. This is probably going to result in a major military operation against Hamas. Didn’t a US President get a Nobel Peace Prize for fixing the issue? Maybe he should give it back.
Was that President Carter and the Camp David accord of the late '70s?

IIRC, that was a peace agreement between Egypt and Israel. I believe in essence the US pays both countries to not attack each other.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm sure that there is no correlation between the recent move to unfreeze the previously frozen Iranian assets and a sudden uptick in terrorism in the middle east.
There isn't because this was a major attack that takes pre-planning ...months of it. The intelligence community is to blame here...no one else.

In before the lock......

Was that President Carter and the Camp David accord of the late '70s?

IIRC, that was a peace agreement between Egypt and Israel. I believe in essence the US pays both countries to not attack each other.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Wye River Accords. Bill Clinton. This is when we armed the terrorists with M-4 carbines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back