ISO-SYN additive package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Chevron Supreme with ISO-SYN a Group II with a additive of boron and moly?
Also, is the 15W-40 in quarts with ISO-SYN different than the DELO in gallons?

As I understand it, Iso-Syn is not an additive but rather the method used for refining the base stock. From what I've read the Iso-Syn designation means that the base oil is basically more highly refined that a regular GII but not as highly refined (or hydroisomerized) as their GIII synthetic (specualtion is that their synth is a GIII). I guess this is where the designation of GII+ came from.

Does this sound right gang?

Sorry I can't comment on the 15-40 stuff.

Mikep

ISO-SYN is a marketing phrase to make you think you're buying a synthetic lube for $6.00/gallon. Its no different than switching from PAO's to Group III basestocks without telling anyone.

ISO-SYN is an excellent, but conventional group II basestock, with a VI between 100 and 120, as per the API definition ....

Tooslick

ChevronTexaco has licensed that refining technique to many other oil refiners, but they retain the trademarked name ISO-SYN.

Ken

ISOSYN is a Group II+ base stock. It is used in many of Chevron's motor oils (Supreme and Delo) and their premium biodegradable hydraulic fluid, GST Compressor oils, Ultra Gear Lube, Delo Gear Lube, etc.
the additive package for the supreme motor oils is:
Boron 170
Calcium 2200
Molybdenum 80
Nitrogen 598-805
Phosphorus 840-1030
Zinc 1030
Sulfur 2800

The additive package in the Delo multigrade is:
Boron Calcium 3140-3800
Magnesium Phosphorus 1290-1570
Zinc 1440-1740

Drums, Pails, Gallons and qts all are the same unless they are too far apart in production and some might still have older formulations. I move 100's of drums a month, but it takes me a couple of years to move a pallet of quarts or gallons.

Well, it might be, Robbie. But, it's the API which put ITS imprimitur on the "Group II+" designation. In other words, "Group II+" is THE recognized designation for oils just short of qualifying for "Group III" status. Both "Group II" and "Group III" base stocks result from hydroisomerization (heated and circulated through a catalyst grid in the presence of high pressure hydrogen gas) - Group III has just been brewed longer in the pressure cooker. What I'd like to know is what percentage of Group II+ is in Chevron Supreme or Havoline motor oil.

Before I start a topic war,

I spoke to Chevron and their Supreme Line is Group III.

Hence they choose to use the word "iso-syn" in leiu of the deceptive "synthetic" on the bottle.

I must be missing the question because the link I posted had the add package for Chevron 10w-30?

From Blackstone Labs..Report date 7/1/2003

Chevron Supreme 10W-30 SL GF-3

Alum = 1
Iron = 1
Moly = 65
Boron = 133
Silicon= 3
Sodium = 1
Calcium= 1814
Magnesum= 4
Phosprus= 732
Zinc = 879

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
[QB] I must be missing the question because the link I posted had the add package for Chevron 10w-30?

I've read that VOA before and some were interpreting this a GroupIII like Castrol, and some said GroupII with a synthectic package.
Also the DELO question was not answered by your reply.

[ December 04, 2003, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Holden McRoin ]

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Before I start a topic war,

I spoke to Chevron and their Supreme Line is Group III.

Hence they choose to use the word "iso-syn" in leiu of the deceptive "synthetic" on the bottle.

Was this told to you verbally or was this published by Chevron?
I've heard some on this board call Chevron Supreme a Group III before this thread.

I'd be more than happy to see a requirement to indicate the type of basestock on both the oil cartons and bottles, as Amsoil has done with their PAO based, 5w-30 and 10w-30. If Chevron wants to use Group II+ on their packaging, that's fine with me. If they want to use the phrase, "Group III Synthetic" I think that's also okay.

I do think you'll find that most of the industry will hotly contest this idea. They'd rather have you make purchasing decisions based on brand loyalty than on quality. If I were Mobil I'd certainly try and find a way to differentiate my product from the other mass marketed synthetics. If prices on the Group III based synthetics are all reduced it will leave Mobil hanging out to dry, since they aren't actively promoting the concept of extended drain intervals ...

My theory is that the Group III synthetics have to gradually reduce prices in stages, so that it appears Mobil 1 is simply getting too expensive. If all the majors were to suddenly drop prices by $1.00/qt, consumers would assume they were getting a cheaper, less capable product. One sneaky way to do this is to offer the 5 qt jugs of Castrol Syntec @ Walmart for < $20.00. Mobil has had to go and match these offerings, even if it kills their profit margin.

I'll be glad when this 0w-30,Mobil 1R appears, so that folks realize $3.75/qt isn't the pinnacle on what the best, extended drain, synthetic lubes should cost ... I was paying $5.95/qt for Amsoil back in 1978!
shocked.gif

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you on that delo question, Holden. But then again, I didn't see your signature on my paycheck this week.

You know if you look carefully(something you're apparantly unable to do)you'll see I graciously edited my last post to you.
You have three posts on this thread, none of which are relevant to my questions.

Holden,
Re-read your first post.Groucho took the meaning the same as I did when I first read it .I thought you were asking about the add pack not the base oil.Groucho posted link to VOA to help answer part of your question.

Mark

Holden here's your post and a specific answer for you

Is Chevron Supreme with ISO-SYN a Group II with a additive of boron and moly?
Also, is the 15W-40 in quarts with ISO-SYN different than the DELO in gallons?
--------------------------------------------------
The Chevron Supreme basestock called ISO-SYN is group II , the PCMO has an additive pack of boron and moly where the HDEO has a molyless and different add pack yet the same basestock .The Chevron Supreme Synthetic is a group III basestock with adds I don't know about. This was all answered either directly or indirectly above if you had read it through but is seems you have a beef of somekind with the fact that certain others posted to try to help with your question to include the administrator .

Try calling Chevron since you don't like the replies here, their number is BR 549
tongue.gif

'Bike, where did you get your info from that Chevron Supreme is a Group II? All the information I have suggests it is a Group II+ like Pennzoil. The word "iso" comes from isomerization a process which makes a Group II base into a Group II+ or Group III as Ray H explained above.

The person here who should know the most about Chevron is Widman is a regional dealer, perhaps one of the larger ones south of the border. He says Group II+.

Can you please cite your source?

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back