Isn't Quakerstate and Penzoil the same company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So wouldn't that mean their oils are exactly the same in the bottles?

Like Penzoil Platinum vs the Quakerstate alternative?

Last edited:
From what I've read here, no. They're different formulations and Pennzoil is supposed to be the better of the two.

AD

Both are owned buy Shell Oil Products(SOPUS). PZ, QS, and Formula Shell are differnet formulations and basestocks. Each of them are quality motor oil's.

Originally Posted By: c3po
Pennzoil now owns Quaker State, time for Johnny to respond.

Yes, the Pennzoil Products Company bought the Quaker State Oil Company back in the 90's to for the Pennzoil-Quaker State Company. Shell Oil Company USA, division of Royal Dutch Shell Oil Company bought the Pennzoil-Quaker State Oil Company in 2002. Shell Oil Company USA formed a separate division called SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US) to sell the Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Formula Shell products. As stated above, all of the products are completely different formulations. They are not the same.

Johnny,

I am a life long Pennzoil user but started deal chasing a few years ago. I still prefer Pennzoil but have used QS some in the last few years because it has been cheaper and it seems good. I've seen current QS spoken of as a step below PYB.

If on the "dino quality scale" PYB is a 10 what would you rank QS? Formula Shell?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Shell Oil Company USA formed a separate division called SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US) to sell the Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Formula Shell products.

How does the Rotella family of HDEOs play into all that? Separate from SOPUS altogether? If so, that would explain why the synthetic SOPUS products don't start with XHVI base stock.

Quaker state dino is slowly becoming my standby in my two car "fleet".

Six month intervals, $10.50 for a 5 quart jug at walmart.

Its hard to beat that value.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Quaker state dino is slowly becoming my standby in my two car "fleet".

Six month intervals, $10.50 for a 5 quart jug at walmart.

Its hard to beat that value.

Thats what I went with this time around in my gf's explorer. I figure its gotta be fairly close to YB performance wise, and everyone on here tells me that with the new specs that dino has to meet, there really isn't a bad oil on the shelves anymore. So I figured at $10.50 for a 5qt. jug, I can't beet it. Then again, the extra $1.50 for the Pennzoil jug isn't really gonna break the bank either.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
QS 9

FS 8

Ok Johnny, not to beat a dead horse BUT.........

What would you rate Mobil 5000?

I'm just asking because it is the cheapest thing at walmart @ $10/5qts. I am more loyal to the QS because of my lifetime use of Pennzoil but how is the Mobil 5000? It is a good deal at that price.

I've decided to stick with SOPUS products from now on. I'm hoping to start a stash of 5w30 in all three brands (provided I can find Formula Shell) regular oil. I don't bother with synthetics.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
I've decided to stick with SOPUS products from now on. I'm hoping to start a stash of 5w30 in all three brands (provided I can find Formula Shell) regular oil. I don't bother with synthetics.

Probably not a bad idea Racer.BTW,I got formula Shell 5W-30 @ Pep-Boy`s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back