Is your job / career at risk of Artificial Intelligence putting you in the unemployment line ?

I mentioned the other day in the investment / 401K thread that artificial intelligence has exponential growth in many industries over the next decade. This will unfortunately cause job cuts in some industries.

At some big hospitals I’ve seen the Pharmacy using robots to fill hundreds of prescriptions an hour. No human that can make deadly pill mix-up, no human that gets sick, no vacation, no overtime, no retirement, no healthcare, etc...

They even have a robot that delivers the meds to the various departments, no need to have a pharmacy technician....

And that got me thinking to ask:
Is your job / career is at risk of artificial intelligence putting you in the unemployment line ?

Last edited:
When you combine AI with autonomous vehicles, you don’t want to be driving one of these.
85D75B0A-A9F7-4857-86B0-613377F91EF6.jpg

Attachments

• 76781127-CCC1-447D-88ED-AA70C1D2953B.jpg
    76781127-CCC1-447D-88ED-AA70C1D2953B.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: JC1
I work in drug manufacturing and development. We want more automation so we have less problems during manufacturing but all the development work takes people.

Nobody that is alive today needs to worry about AI taking their job. I work for a big company that sells AI kinda stuff. Don't ask, I ain't gonna tell.

The people fixing the automated equipment will make some decent $$$ I would bet.

This is not a good example of artificial intelligence. This is just automation and it is in all industry sectors in one fashion or another. The auto industry was a early adopter. Today, robots and machines build most of a automobile.

Here is a link to IBM describing AI.

I thought they usually had them on hand.

It’s your lucky day. I worked in hospital pharmacy for over 30 years. It takes a lot of effort to input orders, procure the medications and get them to the floors for nurses to give. We dealt with all kinds of medications including chemotherapy, biological, immunotherapy, and human products.

I made antibiotic solutions for iv use, all of the above and much more.

To add to the discussion, it was a full time job to meet the needs of a 300 bed hospital which grew to 500 beds. In addition, as automation set in we supplied four other hospitals in our group. What took two people 8 hours to do in the beginning was enabled by technology to supply all five hospitals in around six hours with just one person. That’s productivity.

Over time our full time employee staffing went from just over 30 to 22, all through attrition.

Back