Is your internet speed slower then advertised?

I do hope it works out well for you. I've been skimming the thread. Many good points have been made regarding how one tests and so on, which I will offer my anecdote.

I'm currently on a 2013 vintage laptop, oilBabe's old Asus S500C with an add on 802.11n USB2 adapter, as the on-board is an 802.11g IIRC. I can only get about 160mb up and down with this compared to the >350mb I get with the gigabit Ethernet adapater wired directly to the RG.

Since the on-board Ethernet on this dinosaur is 100mb, that would probably be even slower if I'd try it.

Just goes to support the already stated notion that how you test is important.
oh yes, I agree, thanks.
BTW, again to repeat myself, this is just my own "thing" with huge utility companies, people settle for being lied to and misled. Me, its just principle. That is all, not only that, but in the taxes I pay every week out of my paycheck, I pay for a service from the FCC that will handle this for me, one that I bet 99% of Americans do not know about and use who get less then advertised speeds.

Like I stated/ I was getting 117 Mbps on our 100 Mbps service for all of 2019/2020 and Jan 2021 when I quit Spectrum./ ) This was on all 4 apple devices, 2 iPhones, 1 Mac mini, 1 Mac air AND 108+ Mbps on 1or 2 of 4 Windows machines which are a little older.)

I resigned up with Spectrum 6 weeks later in Feb 2021 and now I cant even get to the 100 Mbps I pay for.
The Advertised speed is 100 Mbps and that is what I want, its clear to me, they "shave" the 100 Mbps as close as possible to save bandwidth.
In my area, you can get 400 Mbps from Spectrum, so their system is capable.

They sent a tech to my house who could not explain it and he confirmed it with his own equipment, but I understand what goes on now. My connections are rock solid but he said the modem is overdriven by a signal to strong which causes the slower speed, he put on a splitter to further weaken the signal AND I told him to install Spectrums own Modem (instead of using my own so on the next call they couldn't blame me), still didnt get quite to 100 but improved 2 to 3 Mbps. SO as of this morning, depending on the exact moment I can get mostly all lower 90s Mbps and on one test only got closer to 97/98 Mbps.

Anyway, this is no big deal at all!
Its all good, Spectrum WILL get in touch with me and I will not have to call them since I just filed a complaint with the FCC.
All I want is what they advertise and again, their system can deliver 400 Mbps on may block, I subscribe to the 100 Mbps service and they certainly can deliver it.
Can you imagine if people didnt settle and just took 5 minutes out to file a complaint?
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

The best part is, you dont have to do anything but file, your data provider will contact you. IN good faith you should make one attempt to have them correct it before you file.

Faster, I pay for 200Mbps down/5Mbps up and get 250-300Mbps down and 5-6 Down. Gladly pay Xfinity the $80/month for internet because my job depends on their reliable internet for last 20 years. Not into discounts if they cannot deliver same service.
My neighbor is commercial customer and we share line. Even in the worst weather conditions they make sure it is on and run little Honda generators locked to power whatever they need to and fish temporary line around downed trees. I can lose power for days but internet works .

Got my speed back, a few days after filing a complaint with the FCC.
Spectrum Corporate called me on Thursday, good conversation, he had a local (to our state) field supervisor call me less then two hours later, good conversation.
She set an appointment for the following day (Friday) she worked in the house, another tech on the block.
Problem solved, have my 117 Mbps on my 100 Mbps service back.
Before -
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 8.20.27 AM.png

AFTER -
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 8.13.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 8.26.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Just checked again, out of curiosity. I had CenturyLink fiber installed a few weeks ago, advertised at 940/940. I'm seeing 930/930 over a gigabit wired connection. I'll take that as a win. Especially since it's $65 a month, all in. No taxes, no equipment rental.

I was paying Comcrap $55 a month for 150/10 previously, but due to having 2 out of work roommates and a child distance learning, we consistently went over their ridiculous 1.2Tb data cap, to the point we were maxing the charge at their $100 cap. So $155 a month for 150/10. I'm so glad I finally dumped those crooks.

Last edited:
Just checked again, out of curiosity. I had CenturyLink fiber installed a few weeks ago, advertised at 940/940. I'm seeing 930/930 over a gigabit wired connection. I'll take that as a win. Especially since it's $65 a month, all in. No taxes, no equipment rental.

I was paying Comcrap $55 a month for 150/10 previously, but due to having 2 out of work roommates and a child distance learning, we consistently went over their ridiculous 1.2Tb data cap, to the point we were maxing the charge at their $100 cap. So $155 a month for 150/10. I'm so glad I finally dumped those crooks.
Data caps are rediculous, never would I allow that, actually at $55 I would, but some people do not have a choice of providers. Hopefully within the year TMobile Home Internet will help those without choices.
The $65 a month price you gave is misleading (not by you) Its only a one year price I suspect it goes up close to 50% in thirteen months.
Comcast @$55 is a great price, too bad for the data cap, though it would work for our household and wish I could get that price.

(3-4-21 Update to my first post in this thread)
I held off on updates until I could confirm over the last 3 days what took place since my last post. (you would need to read the whole thread)
As I posted my speed was fixed on the Friday after my complaint with the FCC.
Something happened on the next business day (Mon) Im sure its just a fluke and I dont want to reset the system to find out.
We now are getting over 100% more data speed then our plan says.

For our home, I am perfectly happy with 100/12 its more then my wife and I can use but nice to see, system can handle anything we throw at it at 100Mbps.
Kids grown and have their own places now. So for me, its price, price, price. Its just a data connection!
Ill never notice a faster connection then 117/12 with low latency and jitter (more important then 100 Mbps speed) until internet applications and whatever else in the future catches up.
Well, the above has held true. Everyday and evening I have been testing since my service was just fixed back to above the advertised rate of 100/10 (or12) On Monday, just because, once again did my test and for some reason I am now getting 230/12
This speed has been constant for the last 3 days.

I have no idea why, dont really want to know, dont really care if I lose it but just like oil, its kind of cool feeling lets say, to be buying Mobil 1 oil for the same Price as Super Tech. It wont make a difference in my engine but just nice to see doing a speed test and seeing this speed that I can never fully use at this time. Much like Mobil 1 isnt going to make my engine last longer.

I ran into a little grief from some, presenting why I should accept not getting the speed I pay for, that is BS, the only reason society has to accept anything is people put up with misleading ads and fine print and just accept being taken advantage of.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.42.33 AM.png

I ran into a little grief from some, presenting why I should accept not getting the speed I pay for, that is BS, the only reason society has to accept anything is people put up with misleading ads and fine print and just accept being taken advantage of.
Kind of like your experience with T-Mobile?

Kind of like your experience with T-Mobile?
Exactly! I didnt accept and did something about it!
Complain to FCC, instant call from Tmobile, free return and removed the monthly charge. Great experience!

You can be a naysayer your whole life and settle or you can fight. Because of Tmobile, I saved Close to $400 of after tax income this year on my data connection to my home.
And you know what? Ill go back to TMobile in another year once my Spectrum increases $30 a month and try it again. 5G is new, in case you are not aware, Tmobile rolled it out with lightening speed and there are issues for many but not everyone. Sooner or later it will be fixed and will be time to try again. Sooner or later this competition will put a cap on the cost of data to your home, much like Tmobile was the disrupter in the cell phone industry. Hopefully it works out for them because if it does all Americans will benefit. I suspect it will, in five years everyone will be in on 5g.

Some people accept "what is" and they pay for it whether its right or not!. I dont know why some (put name here) have no tolerance for those who wont accept "what is", many people bent on negativity because of the success of others. My full experience with TMobil is posted by date in the TMobil thread.

Price and service wins for me, got better things to do with my money then give it to shareholders for them to buy stuff while not providing the product they advertise. Weak people accept that, blows my mind, guess its just easier not to fight it, roll over and accept it.

Last edited:
Exactly! I didnt accept and did something about it!
Complain to FCC, instant call from Tmobile, free return and removed the monthly charge. Great experience!

You can be a naysayer your whole life and settle or you can fight. Because of Tmobile, I saved Close to $400 of after tax income this year on my data connection to my home.
And you know what? Ill go back to TMobile in another year once my Spectrum increases $30 a month and try it again. 5G is new, in case you are not aware, Tmobile rolled it out with lightening speed and there are issues for many but not everyone. Sooner or later it will be fixed and will be time to try again. Kind of like saying you wouldn't have wanted a cell phone decades ago because they were unreliable.

Some people accept "what is" and they pay for it whether its right or not!. I dont know why some (put name here) have no tolerance for those who wont accept "what is", many people bent on negativity because of the success of others. My full experience with TMobil is posted by date in the TMobil thread.

Price and service wins for me, got better things to do with my money then give it to shareholders for them to buy stuff while not providing the product they advertise. Weak people accept that, blows my mind, guess its just easier not to fight it and roll over and accept it.
Well please understand I'd love to save about $25/month on my bill but after reading your saga with T-Mobile I don't think I'm going to make the switch.

Well please understand I'd love to save about $25/month on my bill but after reading your saga with T-Mobile I don't think I'm going to make the switch.
Choice is good how one spends their money applies to their own comfort level. Im glad my TMobile Thread helped you make a decision.

Last Update 3-12-21 Speeds have held on my 100 Mbps service. I dont know why and not going to ask, but either way you cant really notice anything between 117 which I had and 234. Unless downloading a monster file or Apple update. So even if I lose it back to 117 not a big deal, with the kids out of the house and just my wife and I its more then enough. But I understand its fun to see big numbers more so @ 49.95 a month payment for one year. Then in another year I will re-try TMobile and then if it doesnt work out go back to Spectrum at $49 instead of $79.
Either way switching back and forth saved me Roughly $400 of after tax income this year and will again next year.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.19.48 AM.png

Back