Is wet spot on axle housing near the differential a cause for concern?

I changed the oil in the rear end of my F150 at 203k with Amsoil 75W140, it now has 228k and while underneath the other day I noticed this spot on the axle, it isnt wet. Is this a sign of a leaking seal?

96D1D55A-EBE2-41DB-A522-AEA609402159.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is but it's fine to be honest. That looks like a few drops worth and it isn't something that's going to get a lot worse suddenly. I'd just top it off and watch it.

Looks ok, i'd blow through the vent hose just to make sure its venting properly. Make sure what you see is not a drip onto the housing from the vent.

Looks ok, i'd blow through the vent hose just to make sure its venting properly. Make sure what you see is not a drip onto the housing from the vent.
Doubtful that the vent is restricted. The oil would escape out the least resistance opening and come out the seals or gasket first

Very normal. Virtually zero you can do about it. You'd have to replace the entire rear which would be foolish. Don't try running a full weld unless you know what you're doing -- warping the entire housing is the more likely result

Back