Is Walmart M1 the same as "other..." M1 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing happened on a recent Walmart visit. There was a display of M1 5w20 and 5w30 jugs on sale for a decent price ( in Canada at least...) I wanted some 10w30 , and they had jugs on the shelf, but the price tag showed a much higher price. I asked a clerk about it, and he pointed out that the jugs were in fact a different size, and only the smaller size was on sale.

The regular size M1 jug in Canada is 4.4 L , the Walmart sale jugs are only 4 L ... (1 liter is about 1.06 quarts )

Seems strange that an oil manufacturer would create a new package size just for Walmart...when they already stock the normal size.... then the paranoia kicked in.

Is the special sized M1 oil at Walmart "watered down..." somehow...?

I noticed bottle size and look change not that long ago.

I wouldnt be suprised if theyre subtle differences , I wouldnt loose sleep over it. Mobil still has to protect their reputation.

M1 would not compromise the quality of their product. It's all the same M1 oil regardless of what size.

Don't forget, reducing the quality of the oil to make it cheaper would require the new "cheaper" oil to be re-certified, and I don't see any "lower tier" M1 oil listed on their website to address any certifications it wouldn't have compared to the full version.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Funny thing happened on a recent Walmart visit. There was a display of M1 5w20 and 5w30 jugs on sale for a decent price ( in Canada at least...) I wanted some 10w30 , and they had jugs on the shelf, but the price tag showed a much higher price. I asked a clerk about it, and he pointed out that the jugs were in fact a different size, and only the smaller size was on sale.

The regular size M1 jug in Canada is 4.4 L , the Walmart sale jugs are only 4 L ... (1 liter is about 1.06 quarts )

Seems strange that an oil manufacturer would create a new package size just for Walmart...when they already stock the normal size.... then the paranoia kicked in.

Is the special sized M1 oil at Walmart "watered down..." somehow...?

Just like Sealy mattresses made for Sears, etc. They come out with a custom run of the tag + UPC code (and sometimes even the top fabric looked a bit different) so that competitive shoppers cannot take flyer A to a competitor to negotiate a better deal.

Similarly, Exxon Mobil will run a special "sized" container where the UPC code differs from other sellers, so that you or your competitor cannot cross-negotiate by competitive shoppers.

They(oil manufacturers) have no intention of blending another "custom" blend just for the sake of selling to wallymart, for the cost of running another blend would cost them more (much, much more) than simply having a one-off oddball container size with a separate UPC code.

This is a rather common practice for big box stores with gigantic purchasing power.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Yes. There are 4 ounces of maple syrup added to each jug.

Is that Canadian Maple syrup, or Vermont ?

I know they are different viscosities (sp. ? ) cause I did a pour test on my pancakes.

Z

After seeing many good M1 UOAs and VOAs, I am tempted to maybe use it.

But you know what really bugs me? 4.4L Jugs.

What is this??? Oil for ANTS???

I LOVE 5L jugs, feels like a great value. But it is purely psychological.

Originally Posted By: Falken
After seeing many good M1 UOAs and VOAs, I am tempted to maybe use it.

But you know what really bugs me? 4.4L Jugs.

What is this??? Oil for ANTS???

I LOVE 5L jugs, feels like a great value. But it is purely psychological.

I LOVE bigger jugs!!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: geeman789

It's not a Walmart only thing at all. You'll occasionally run into them at Canadian Tire and Partsource. Wakefield also does the same with Castrol for those three retailers. Why, I'm not sure, but Imperial Oil does provide a number of products in four litre containers, anyhow. Imperial Oil markets stuff in 4 L, 4.4 L, and 5 L containers, among the other widely varying sizes.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I think they do it to prevent Price Matching...

Yep, I agree. It is kind of silly, since only CT, Partsource, and Walmart Canada play much with that size, and they also do have specials on the normal 4.4 L jugs. And, it's not like they're exactly giving away the 4 L jugs at some irresistible price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back