Is walmart dex-merc III any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there -
I did some searching and did not find this answer here on the forums. I am about to change the trans fluid in my 2000 7.3 F-250 and I don't want to use 'cheap' trans fluid if there is any major difference. If it's some decent fluid repackaged, I'm in for 9.88 a gallon. What a deal. What do you all think?
Thanks in advance -
Scott

I've had good luck with SuperTech fluids. I am using ST 75W-140 gear oil in my truck's rear end and it is great stuff.

I used it in a couple Fords, Taurus and Windstar. I was pleased with the oil as it improved shift quality. If it meets the required specs I wouldn't hesitate to use it. This was the Supertech with WPP on the bottle bottom.

in 2000 mercon was the only trans fluid to be used, then the formula for Mercon V was "tweeked" and now is reccomended for the 4r100 transmission in the superduties (as for most ford transmissions that were orginally spec for Mercon fluids).

on my 2000 F-250 i have Mercon V in there now and it is running just as good as the day i bought it.(as of now it has a little over 10,000 miles/7 months on the fluid)

Last edited:
GM doesn't license Dexron lll anymore so your taking Warren Performance Products' word that it meets the specs.
That said it's likely still an OK fluid but I'd use something that meets the Mercon V specs or Dexron IV specs for a few dollars more.

Originally Posted By: rebelyell618
in 2000 mercon was the only trans fluid to be used, then the formula for Mercon V was "tweeked" and now is reccomended for the 4r100 transmission in the superduties (as for most ford transmissions that were orginally spec for Mercon fluids).

on my 2000 F-250 i have Mercon V in there now and it is running just as good as the day i bought it.(as of now it has a little over 10,000 miles/7 months on the fluid)

I figured Ford back spec'd the tranny.

To the OP, I think you'll have better results with Mercon V, it's more expensive but if you look around you can get it for a decent deal. I get a discount from my local dealer and it cost me 4.29/qt for Motorcraft Mercon V.

I have the Super Tech Dexmerc III in my 90 toyota corolla for the past 40,000 miles and it still shifts fine. I have 160,000 miles on the car total. I beat the [censored] out of the car and the fluid still looks and smells fine.

All good input! I will give it a try I think, it is a great deal. As for buying the V rated fluid, this is a hotly debated topic on the powerstroke diesel forums. At first, Ford said DO NOT put the V rated stuff in that trans, then changed their minds on it and swtiched back saying it's OK. I look at it that as them having done the research and reporting on what they found, but the 'glass is half empty' folks see it as Ford backing out of the original statement and not caring if we destroy transmissions that are out of warranty. I can't seem to swallow that train of thought. So from what I keep reading on this site in general, is that the walmart brand stuff oil is generally accepted as good. True?
Thanks!
Scott

I've been using the SuperTech Mercon for yrs in my Ford Escape. It shifts great and comes out red and smelling fine. Of course I drain a gallon out every 10K so that helps. While $9.88/gal is a good price it was under $5/gal just a few yrs ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back