Is Valvoline 5w-30 SynPower VW502 Approved Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see the need (in my case) running a heavy, super long lasting oil in the 2.5L VW 5-cyclinder engine. I don't do really long OCI and I think a 5w-30 would be ideal. My dealer used MST Valvoline oil (Weight unknown but I'm thinking 5w-30 since it's bought in 55ga. drums?) On ValvolineEurope website the SynPower IS 502 Approved. (Along w/the "FE" version.) What gives? Is the 5w-30 SynPower European oil different than the oil we have in the States? I've tried the GC 0w-30 and I like this oil but I've read it is on the heavy side of a 30w oil. Honestly, the engine runs like a dream w/the Valvoline as well! Just curious! Thanks and Cheers!

Synpower MST 5W-30 meets VW 502.
IIRC, it's not available in this country in anything other than drums, not a practical package size for you.
API SN Synpower from Walmart doesn't.
You could probably safely run API SN Synpower, or any other API SN 5W-30 in your five cylinder NA engine on shorter than allowed drains, but these oils would not meet VW's recommendations and that could make it really difficult for you to get warranty coverage should anything bad happen to the engine.
GC is a thick thirty, but any oil meeting VW 502 will have a high HTHSV as compared to the SAE standard for the 5W-30 grade.

As mentioned above, the Valvoline SynPower sold at Wal-Mart is NOT VW 502.00 rated. To carry the VW rating the oils must have a minimum HT/HS viscosity of 3.5cP's and none of the OTC 5W-30's have this. There is Castrol 0W-30 which carries it along with numerous 5W-40's and a 0W-40's that are readily available if you so desire.

Valvoline makes a nice 5W-40 if you're set on using their products and it's available at NAPA.

Mobil-1 0W-40 is a reasonably priced oil that carries a ton of manufacturer's approvals and is available at every Wal-Mart I've ever been to. That's what I'd use if I had a 5-cylinder VeeDub!

Originally Posted By: sparky123
I really don't see the need (in my case) running a heavy, super long lasting oil in the 2.5L VW 5-cyclinder engine. I don't do really long OCI and I think a 5w-30 would be ideal. My dealer used MST Valvoline oil (Weight unknown but I'm thinking 5w-30 since it's bought in 55ga. drums?) On ValvolineEurope website the SynPower IS 502 Approved. (Along w/the "FE" version.) What gives? Is the 5w-30 SynPower European oil different than the oil we have in the States? I've tried the GC 0w-30 and I like this oil but I've read it is on the heavy side of a 30w oil. Honestly, the engine runs like a dream w/the Valvoline as well! Just curious! Thanks and Cheers!

All 5W30, 0W30 oils that meet ACEA A3/B3 B4, VW 502.00, VW505.01. VW 504.00/507.00, are going to be on heavy side.
I use M1. 5W30 ESP Low-SAPS< and cst is 12.1, almost same as GC, while HTHS is 3.58, exactly same as GC.
In my opinion, going from GC to Valvoline is step down.

The Most important factor is that your using a VW approved oil. Especially under warranty. If your not under warranty, Do what you like.

Personally I have nothing against Valvoline, but I dont know much about it. I used VR1 in past tracked cars, but never used Valvoline in DD cars.

Just use M1 0w40 in your car. It meets spec, its readily had pretty much anywhere, you have port injection I believe in the 2.5? so you dont have to worry about Intake Valve Deposits, and its $25 for 5qts. Tough to beat comped to any oil price.

Yes your engine can run on a lighter HTHS oil, but why do that? Why sacrifice longevity of your engine, to save a few MPG's?
21.gif

Just my Ten Cents.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Synpower MST 5W-30 meets VW 502.
IIRC, it's not available in this country in anything other than drums, not a practical package size for you.
API SN Synpower from Walmart doesn't.
You could probably safely run API SN Synpower, or any other API SN 5W-30 in your five cylinder NA engine on shorter than allowed drains, but these oils would not meet VW's recommendations and that could make it really difficult for you to get warranty coverage should anything bad happen to the engine.
GC is a thick thirty, but any oil meeting VW 502 will have a high HTHSV as compared to the SAE standard for the 5W-30 grade.

MST synpower is available in bottles. XLIII is only in drums. That's the one for the TDI. 507 I believe.

Thanks for the comments! So the MST 5w-30 is on the thick side as well. Yes, I did see the link to the ValvolineEurope website. It shows the SynPower 5w-30 is 502 approved. Nothing about "MST" mentioned that I could see. So the oils are different but they are called the same, "SynPower?" Honestly, the engine will most likely outlive me w/just about anything in the sump! I never hoarded oil nor given it this much thought since joining this website. Really enjoy the topics and comments here! Thanks again!

So the oils are different but they are called the same, "SynPower?"

Yup. Just like Castrol Edge in Europe is not the same as Edge in the US.

Thanks for the comments! So the MST 5w-30 is on the thick side as well. Yes, I did see the link to the ValvolineEurope website. It shows the SynPower 5w-30 is 502 approved. Nothing about "MST" mentioned that I could see. So the oils are different but they are called the same, "SynPower?" Honestly, the engine will most likely outlive me w/just about anything in the sump! I never hoarded oil nor given it this much thought since joining this website. Really enjoy the topics and comments here! Thanks again!

I would go what Jeff recommended. Go to Wal Mart, get M1 0W40 or Castrol 0W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back