Is Triple AAA a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Balance the cost of AAA versus the cost of a very infrequent tow or service need. I've racked up hundreds of thousands of miles of driving in 18 years and needed a tow exactly once.
You do have a point there
wink.gif
I've been driving this 88 Aries now, a little over 2 years (as of September) and had to use the service once....but yea, the road side assistance (covers locked keys in the car, dead battery, tire mounting, etc....) I've used it twice now. Once for locked keys (which was not MY fault....friend of mine had borrowed the car lol), and then more recent when the steering pump went loose, and landed in a culvert/drainage sewer that I couldn't get out of. Turns out, the P.O.S. tow company (Errr....I mean S.O.S. lol) they sent with their old "hydraulic powered tow bar" dew-hickey couldn't pull it out either, without serious damage occuring (i.e.: he didn't wanna risk it....especially yanking the car out from behind (the front end was lodged sorta in the culvert....) with the AT in Neutral.....but yea, he got it nudged out a little bit, and said eh, I gotta get a flat bed out here.....

Well, by the time he got out there, buddy of mine had me in the car, and him pushing the car from the front, and he was able to dislodge the vehicle himself :p No tow truck necessary.....just maybe the tow truck operator "nudged it" just enough to pull it out.....who knows...

But yea, the opinions brought here were about right, the dude acted like he did not want to be there.....was not prepared AT all....he had to use MY mobile phone to call his dispatcher cause he "didn't have minutes" on his P.O.S. phone (looked like some prepaid Tracfone....), so he leaves me alone on the side of the street, drives to walmart to buy his phone card (saw the receipt in the center console, and the fact he was gabbing on his phone when he pulled up).....

My buddy was able to "dislodge" my vehicle JUST as he pulled back up (in his original P.O.S. tow truck....lol....no flat bed yet....still, after 45 minutes....) so he at least followed us back to my drive way to make sure it wouldn't "give out" on the way there which was like 0.75 miles or so.....so that was at least nice of him.

I pull it into the drive way and I go is there anything I need to sign? He says no, and we go on our way :p Then 4 hours later he calls me up asking for odometer, last four of my VIN number, etc...? I was like no, I'm not at my car right now, call back later.....but he never did
wink.gif

Methinks he realized he needed that info for the "invoice" so he could "write off" his trip to walmart as "business" hehehe.

Originally Posted By: The_Cams
If you are just looking for towing service, check with your insurance company. Most offer towing re-imbursement, and it's very inexpensive. I pay $3.50 a year.

You got it good, I pay 9.95 every 6 months (all in the premium)
smile.gif

But yea, I understand there's a difference between these car clubs, and say, "Roadside assistance" - travel discounts, etc...

I think my roadsider covers up to 10 miles a tow....anything over,,,,,who knows how much it is....arm and a leg? :p

Last edited:
We have it just in case anything happens. The discounts are also nice. I don't think my Chevy roadside assistance will cover me in all situations like AAA will. I view the roadside assistance as more of a "get to the dealer when stranded" thing instead of a full-service roadside assistance like AAA offers.

FWIW, you can get the AAA roadside assistance without actually getting your insurance through AAA. You just have to pay for the membership. I think that Allstate has something similar. For me, AAA is a great deal, since I get a dsicount for grades, having a Comerica account, credit, good driver, and a few others I've forgotten. The tow service does come in very handy when you do eventually need it, and it helps when you are in Nowheresville, Ohio (aka the Mid-Ohio race track) and you lock your keys in your car...
whistle.gif

No, not really worth it for the average American from a financial or security point of view.

There are too many restrictions, limitations, exemptions and so on to make AAA necessary.

Take your lumps if your car breaks down. AAA won't tow it 589 miles back home, and neither would you.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
... I've been a member since the early 1990's, when they offered free Amex travelers checks (anyone remember those relics?)...

I remember Karl Malden in all their ads back in the 70's...."Don't leave home without them!"

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
Ihave old cars and a motorcycle and need some sort of protection I feel. Do any of you have this insurance and what are your thoughts. Thank you.
Triple AAA should equate to 9 As. (AAAAAAAAA)

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Ihave old cars and a motorcycle and need some sort of protection I feel. Do any of you have this insurance and what are your thoughts. Thank you.

Yes, that would be the premier nonuple A

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

Yes, that would be the premier nonuple A
lol.gif
lol.gif

I got an AAA membership primarily so I do not have to go to the CA DMV or deal with waiting for such things in the mail. They also offered me cheaper insurance by far than what I had been using.

I have yet to need a tow or any of the other benefits, and only once used the AAA discount on a hotel.

We had it for years....and used it every once in a while.

Will be bringing it back again for the wife's car...

I hope to get it again someday. Just one tow from 25 miles to the garage cost me $90. a Plus membership is $120 or so.

As mentioned a good insurance policy, if you have a car getting up there in the years. I use the discounts it offers at various retailers.

It has been a number of years since I had them come out and jump my F150 in the middle of a state forest. As with any insurance, not using it isn't a compelling reason to drop it if you can't wallet the alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back