Is Triple AAA a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ihave old cars and a motorcycle and need some sort of protection I feel. Do any of you have this insurance and what are your thoughts. Thank you.

I can't speak too much of American AAA, but if it's similar to Canada's CAA, I think it's a good deal. It's saved my behind on a couple occasions with older vehicles. It also provides some pretty substantial discounts at certain shops, particularly automotive shops. One can also get some pretty cheap insurance up here if one's a member. Up here, if one fills at Husky or Mohawk, one earns points that can go to reducing the cost of the annual membership. A few years back, I did so much driving my top end membership cost under $10.

I know that manufacturers' roadside assistance programs have really cut into the business of AAA and CAA, but they still have their use. Most roadside assistance programs do expire, unless you drive something like a Benz, anyhow.

What would AAA run you, out of curiosity? My CAA is close to $90 a year, I think. That's the top end package that allows for relatively lengthy tows, since I do spend a fair bit of time on the highway.

In my opinion it is a pretty good thing to have. tows are not cheap, and the membership is pretty much the price of a tow, and alot less if theres a reasonable distance for the tow truck. Also if you travel a bit, most hotels(95% of them, depending on the time of year) offer 10% discounts on rooms with aaa. I would say it would be a good thing to have

Triple AAA must be better than AAA.
smile.gif

We buy one AAA membership for my fiance and I. She can call and have service done on any car that needs it (towing, etc)..

I also buy emergency roadside assistance with geico for 9 bucks every six months. That provides towing if for some reason she can't be there with an AAA card.

I have it these days since being diangnosed with MS. I am not up to changing the tire if I get a flat or anything like that now. On the towing you just have to read the fine print because the base membership only pays for like 5 miles and after that you owe the rest. Very handy to have if you geta flat, run out of gas, battery dies, etc...

As others have said you get discounts everywhere with membership too. Even Napa gives discounts for AAA members.

If you are just looking for towing service, check with your insurance company. Most offer towing re-imbursement, and it's very inexpensive. I pay $3.50 a year.

Few years back I had customers that said manufactures Roadside assistance, Triple A etc. was great unless the situation was that no one in the area you were down in didn't handle those programs. A few told that they were told flat out that those programs didn't pay them enough to want to handle a tow or flat tire at 3am.

Triple AAA is sold by regional groups, so its pricing and quality varies across the country.

I had AAA of Northern New England for one year, and now in the mail, at random times, I get a cardboard card with free coverage for a month, encouraging me to "re-up".

I never used it the year I had it, got it for Xmas. You might have good intro/gift rates coming up in the next few weeks. They know someone who was given it is less likely to use it than someone who buys it themselves.

May be better in some areas than others, but I find it a total waste of money here. I don't need any help planning trips thanks to GPS. I've never even noticed any stores I shop at offering discounts so I can't speak for that part.

The main benefit of road service/towing simply works poorly around here. Call for a tow and wait hours for someone to show up, if they show up at all. If he does get there, the tow driver is usually surly and PO'd that he had to come out on a discounted AAA tow.

I haven't had AAA in probably 20 years, but my parents still do. When they wanted to have their Explorer towed to my house so I could fix the brake lines, they got a better price form a non-AAA tow company. Additionally, AAA wouldn't guarantee a flat bed tow. The other guy did.

Best bet is to ask people in your area who have the service.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

The main benefit of road service/towing simply works poorly around here. Call for a tow and wait hours for someone to show up, if they show up at all. If he does get there, the tow driver is usually surly and PO'd that he had to come out on a discounted AAA tow.

The base service guarantees a "tow to safety" which is usually the dispatching garage. They can get surly if you then choose not to have them work on your car.

We have AAA plus, which I believe includes 100 miles of towing. We make use of the other services from AAA. The TripTik's guide books and maps.

It's a nice service to go in, have them put together a TripTik with marked construction and have a bag full of books and state maps to go along with the trip.

Sure, I could probably find that info on line. It's just habit. I've been a member since the early 1990's, when they offered free Amex travelers checks (anyone remember those relics?) and have grown fond of the TripTik map on my knee as I drive on a road trip.

I simply like having them available if I can't get to my wife or daughter in a timely fashion.

AAA got me 7% off at NAPA. Not a lot, just a little. They had to type my membership number into their computer every single time, seems like a hassle.

Have the RV Plus option and have used it with my RV several times while on the road. Have never had attitude issues with the contractors used and usually very good service. Most I ever had to wait for a tow was one hour, even though I have been broken down in remote places. When I needed a flat bed for my RV or Subaru, AAA found one for me. These are the prime reasons why I retain membership, even though it would be cheaper to use a Road Service option with my car insurance. Their service personnel do all the reseach and make sure the chosen contractor is correct for the requirement. In most cases I have been stranded, it was far easier for them to obtain the services I needed rather than my trying to do it myself from the break down location.

I don't want to know the cost of a tow without AAA. Someplace I heard that the operators charge up to $7-9/mile!

Balance the cost of AAA versus the cost of a very infrequent tow or service need. I've racked up hundreds of thousands of miles of driving in 18 years and needed a tow exactly once.

My AMEX platinum card gives roadside assistance plus gives me a ton of other perks so I see that as a better value than AAA.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Triple AAA must be better than AAA.
smile.gif

That would be Nonuple A. I have Triple A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back