Is this True??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard a few gear heads ( not in here don't worry ) that has always run diesel oil in their trucks ( which is unleaded )and swears by it.. stating cause of extra detergent component used in diesel oil vs. regular oil. They mentioned they won't do oil change till 10K Km, and would run a 1 litre bottle of varsal thru the oil for about no more then 100 KM then change the oil ( sayin that it cleans out any carbon and crap left ). I do believe think they maybe onto something as they have one of trucks with 500K on all original parts minus maintainance ( plugs, filters, and such )..

This true?

Yeah, it is true..diesel oil tends to have a higher detergancy level..keeps the engine clean..and a more robust additive package ...been running it in my car for a year now ..and in my motorcycle .
Examples ..mobile Delvac 1300..shell rotella T and chevron delo ...also inexpensive ..about 6-7 $$ a gallon .

I'm currently running 4 quarts of Delvac 1300 15w40 & 1 quart of M1 Syn. 5w30 in my Regal GS (3.8 SuperCharge V6) for the summer. Tough to beat the price, thats for sure. Considering running Shell Rotella T-Syn 5w40 & a quart of M1 0w40 for the winter. Total price would be $10 cheaper then if I ran 5 quarts of regular synthetic.

I've been reading a bit about this myself. Been considering switching to a diesel oil in my 2000 Durango. It's my every day car and most of the trips in it are short ones to and from work. Not exactly good on the oil engine ya know.
wink.gif
So what would the folks here that run diesel oils in their vehicles recommend. It has the 318 engine in it with just over 40k miles.

Thanks!

For some cars/trucks I am heavily in the HD diesel engine oil camp.

Couple things: They aren't always 15W-40, and if you do choose a 15W-40 and live anywhere even slightly cold, go with a synthetic HDEO oil.

quote:

Originally posted by edvanp:
5w30 in my Regal GS (3.8 SuperCharge V6) for the summer. Tough to beat the price, thats for sure. Considering running Shell Rotella T-Syn 5w40 & a quart of M1 0w40 for the winter. Total price would be $10 cheaper then if I ran 5 quarts of regular synthetic.

I have the same engine probably as you series II.. so you're running mix of dino and synth in the same oil change? What would happen? Thought we weren't suppose to mix them like that ( i.e. if car was started off running dino oil.. to stay with dino oil, and same with synthetic ).
(you can tell I'm a newbie.. sorry )

Also, WalMart sells those huge barrel of diesel oil.. are those ok?

quote:

Originally posted by drifter420:
Also, WalMart sells those huge barrel of diesel oil.. are those ok?
I would assume the barrels are disel only, or are they also rated SL for gasoline engines? If so, the only problem I see is potential contamination transferring oil from the barrel to the vehicle and due to the long time the barrel will sit, which allows dirt, water, and other contamination potential. Maybe not a problem if it will be used in say a 2-year time frame or so. The barrel also forces storage in a garage (or worse, behind the garage) and subject to temperature extremes (for long term stability I keep my oil in the cellar.

I believe they are diesel only.. I will be using it for 2 cars.. and you're right. I'm wondering how I can transfer it without contiminating it and not going to lug the dam thing up to the hood to fill it in. Would this be a problem to switch for synth to dino diesel oil?

what I heard was there is no problem switching from synth to dino or back and surely synth to dino dual rated (diesel/gasoline)should not be a problem. I would not run diesel only oil as the additives probably would not be good for a gasoline engine. Now me, I don't even like fooling with the 1 gallon jugs. Quarts are easiest for me to pour in.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Now me, I don't even like fooling with the 1 gallon jugs. Quarts are easiest for me to pour in.

You can get HD/diesel oils in quarts just like any other oil.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
what I heard was there is no problem switching from synth to dino or back and surely synth to dino dual rated (diesel/gasoline)should not be a problem. I would not run diesel only oil as the additives probably would not be good for a gasoline engine. Now me, I don't even like fooling with the 1 gallon jugs. Quarts are easiest for me to pour in.

I will have to look for diesel/gasoline oil then.. I don't know if Walmart or Canadian Tire would carry that up here.. but guess I will find out soon enough

What they call the dual rated oil is definitely available at my Walmart. Canadian Tire should have it too. Typical names like Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac come to mind, but also Valvoline Premium Blue, Motorcraft makes a dual rated oil too. Usually it is 15w40, but if synthetic you can get 5w40. A dino (not synthetic) 10w30 is available (for most of these brands I believe) but typically not found in any convenient place you normally shop for oil. Try a truck stop, truck parts supplier, etc (maybe Canadian Tire?). I've never used the stuff but learned a lot from this web site (oh, and thanks for the tip sjlee, yes it does come in quarts in select brands and grades). Actually I can pour the gallon jugs if I have to, but prefer the quarts.
wink.gif

Pablo,
What about Amsoil 5w-30 Series 3000 diesel oil? Does it have the same detergency qualities of Delo or Rotella 15-40 oils? Seems like that would be a good alternative for cold weather if someone wanted to continue using diesel.

Canadian Tire carries Rotella 0w40 synthetic, and it just happens to be on sale this week too. It's a fleet oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Canadian Tire carries Rotella 0w40 synthetic, and it just happens to be on sale this week too. It's a fleet oil.

OOh.. thanx.. will have to stop by there this friday.. out of curiousity.. wouldn't the 0w40 be to thin for my application? My car is has a 3.8L series II L67 supercharged engine that asks for 10W30. I'm assuming it maybe ok for winter?? but what would I do for summer? Have to stop by Walmart also to check out their selection.

So with more detergent in the mix, it would obviously I'm assuming remove more carbon built up wherever the oil travels right?

The Shell representative that I talked to doesn't recommend the use of Rotella T 10w30 Mineral in a car.

He is concerned about the problem the oil may cause to the emission system , catalytic converter and other thing,

For the peoples who can read French

En réponse à votre question, le sigle API starbusrt fait reference aux huiles qui ont les propietes "Economie d'energie" La Rotella par conception est une huile pour moteur diesel et qui rencontre aussi les specification pour moteur essence cependant la Rotella T n'a pas la propriété économie d'énergie. Par conséquent, il peut y avoir des effets néfastes sur le système de contrôl d'emissions tel que le convertisseur catalytique et j'en passe. Je ne recommenderais pas la Rotella T pour des véhicules qui nécessitent une huile économie d'energie ou la spécification GF-3.

quote:

He is concerned about the problem the oil may cause to the emission system , catalytic converter and other thing,

This is the standard CYA response. If consumption is low ...what does it matter? The amount of antagonistic agents reaching the catalyst are minimal. If it's an oil burner ..it's null and void anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by drifter420:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

OOh.. thanx.. will have to stop by there this friday.. out of curiousity.. wouldn't the 0w40 be to thin for my application? My car is has a 3.8L series II L67 supercharged engine that asks for 10W30. I'm assuming it maybe ok for winter?? but what would I do for summer? Have to stop by Walmart also to check out their selection.

The 0w40 will be thicker at operating temperature than the 10w30 specified for your engine, so it's no problem at all in the summer. But by having the 0w designation, that simply means it flows better in the cold weather. So it's a good oil to use in the summer and in the winter.

I put diesel oil in the feul tank of my wifes
Powerstroke . I run heavy duty engine oil in the Powerstrokes crankcase and in my 1992 Toyota p/u's crankcase as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back